Max 6 Sneak Peek: Usability

We know you’re curious about Max 6 and we’re excited to share, so we asked some of our developers to give us a peek at their favorite new features. In this first Sneak Peek, David Zicarelli (Cycling ’74 CEO and Developer) gives you a tour of some of the new usability features being developed for Max 6.

Sneak Peek videos:

• MSP: Audio quality improvements.
  • Jitter: New 3D graphics features.

Max 6 Sneak Peek: Usability

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:05pm

multitouch support?

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:37pm

Very, very nice. I’m pleased to see what you’ve done with the search function.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:32pm

Amazing! I am blown away by the new usability features, they will be so helpful to people learning the environment. Even those that know it well will learn a lot I’m sure, especially seeing all the arguments and attributes that are possible for each object. The attrui idea is great too.

Looking forward to more sneak peeks. Go C74!

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:34pm

Awesome – Great for new users; continues where 5 left off!

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:36am

Great, impatience grows !!

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:08am

jesus, this is really nice. completely dig the whole new way of patching. even curvier patch cords :)
but this really is something to behold and cant wait when it is released.

i personally am still learning max [even after 3 years], with objects and what they do and ways of using max 5 and do get stuck on some things, either being that i have spent so much time on it that i have forgotten, or did not know in the first place. this will help in both aspects, and is greatly appreciated and am more than sure everyone else would feel the same.

but anyhow, this does look set to really make patching much quicker for anyone, and also helpful for future uses.

well done.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:48pm

Wow, looking forward for a jitter preview, super curious about it!

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:04pm

Amazing! I really look forward to it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:19pm

Ooooo nice! I have 2 questions:
1st will the curved patch cords be able to be routed/aligned in a similar style to the old ones? I’m a tidy patch freak lol!
2nd, that circular menu looks pretty small (which is fine), so I was just wondering how precise you have to be to click on the sections – in other words if it’s fiddly it might be an additional feature but it won’t help with usablility :)

Can’t wait to see the next one, or indeed the Max 6 Upgrade page!

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:09pm

wonder if the circular menu (once you’re in it) can be worked with arrow keys and Enter?

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:51pm

Curious if there will be a key command short-cut for patching objects together? eg: selecting a number box and a message box below it, hitting the command and it patches the two. Someone built an external that does that and its fantastic!

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:20pm

wow!

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:21pm

Also commented on youtube but figured I’d comment here too. It looks impressive but I can’t help raise some concerns regarding workload. Usually such GUI changes also imply a greater demand on the running system. As such I can’t help wonder how, for example, the auto-completion feature would cope when its being used in larger patches (say with 24 or more objects in the near vicinity) ?

IMO one of the major advantages of using Max is that the patcher itself isn’t very “resource demanding” which leaves more power to the things the patch itself should do.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:13pm

New usability options look amazing!! The access to needed information in Max is possibly the NUMBER ONE reason I use Max. Even though I use Max extensively, I still find there are times when I forget an object’s arguments/attributes, OR (and this was particularly nice to see in this video) I forget the name of an object but remember its function. To be honest, it is these type of additions that are truly exciting me about Max 6!!

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:31am

I hope that with better audio msp6 is generated. Thank you for your work cycling!!

Ruben

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:21pm

As a total noob, this has me excited, thanks for looking out for us!

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:04pm

As a new user, I appreciate these features and look forward to using them. I bought Max 5 recently, but it’s hard to know how to get started.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:38pm

These are all *really* excellent work flow features. Thank you.

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:24pm

any AU support at last?!?!?!

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:49am

Awesome!

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:51am

great, that users – like me, who are not regularly working with max, find a quicker access to it ! thanks

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:28am

This looks fantastic; these new usuability features are exactly the sort of thing I need to get to grips with this type of application. Looking forward to seeing what else will be in 6

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:20am

circle menus & docs integration seems to improve the workflow A LOT.

Cannot wait for seeing more about gen~

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:56pm

Great Max !! David-san,,,, you look coo!!,

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:01am

Multitouch support would be awesome, there are displays that support native multitouch in win7, it’s a shame that so few programs actually support the tech

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:12pm

David really cool stuff… I can’t wait to play, does it come with a spare time generator? It’s great that the folks at cycling can think like a novice using max for the first time.