1) Auto-recording when sound is detected 2) Saving all those clips in a database 3) Make music!

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:59am

1) Auto-recording when sound is detected 2) Saving all those clips in a database 3) Make music!

Hello there. I’m completely new to Max/Msp! I was working on a project in Ableton Live 6 but decided to incorporate Max/Msp in my project, because there are a lot of usefull patches out there. I hope I can get some help here! If you can help me with only one of the 3 questions, that would already be cool. Max- or Live-wise.

What I basically want to do is:

1) Automatically record clips, with a microphone, when a sound is made and detected.

2) Save all those recorded clips as wav, mp3, or otherwise, in a directory or some kind of database.

3) Have those clips automatically loaded in for example a drum machine, live’s simpler, etc. So it can play pre-defined or random patterns of melody or rhythmn.

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:23pm

Hi! Welcome to Max/MSP…

> What I basically want to do is:

It all seems fairly easy… As always, there are lots of ways to do what you want, but I’ll just make a few suggestions – you just have to look at the help of each object.

> 1) Automatically record clips, with a microphone, when a sound is made and detected.

“sfrecord~” with some kind of onset detector, like “thresh~”, “bonk~” (non-standard – http://www.maxobjects.com), etc.

> 2) Save all those recorded clips as wav, mp3, or otherwise, in a directory or some kind of database.

if you use “sfrecord~”, with some kind of automatic numbering of files (e.g. “counter” + “sprintf”) and save them all to the same folder, then you’ll only need a “sflist~” to store the clues for one or more “sfplay~”. If you want to save the clues and the files for further use, you can of course use “coll”.

> 3) Have those clips automatically loaded in for example a drum machine, live’s simpler, etc. So it can play pre-defined or random patterns of melody or rhythmn.

See above… you can always store some useful data about the files, use it with “prob” and/or “random” and make an automatic improviser…

All the best,

Rui

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.