Forums > MaxMSP

1 big pack/unpack for a big poly~

June 19, 2009 | 11:58 am

Hi,

Is it good practice to send all parameters in a poly~ through a big pack/unpack?

How many packs do you use?

Cheers

June 19, 2009 | 12:49 pm

I would rather use route.
Just send all messages prepended with a keyword and retrieve them via route inside the poly~ (that way you also don’t have to send tons of messages if there is only one that needs to be sent).

HTH

Ciao,
_y

June 19, 2009 | 2:00 pm

Seconded. More flexible method. Easier to add an internal function: just add a keyword in the [route].
J-F.

June 19, 2009 | 2:52 pm

yes keywords and route. better for overview, too.

also, it is not a shame to use 3 inlets for 3 logical groups of parameters.

June 19, 2009 | 7:08 pm
Roman Thilenius wrote on Fri, 19 June 2009 08:52
yes keywords and route. better for overview, too.

also, it is not a shame to use 3 inlets for 3 logical groups of parameters.

Thats what im doing Smile

Cheers & have a nice weekend

June 19, 2009 | 8:27 pm
gusanomaxlist wrote on Fri, 19 June 2009 06:49
I would rather use route.
Just send all messages prepended with a keyword and retrieve them via route inside the poly~ (that way you also don’t have to send tons of messages if there is only one that needs to be sent).

HTH

Ciao,
_y

Thanks,

Do I need to use the set message for more than 1 keyword per prepend?
Like, when sending the notein to poly~, can I prepend midinote,pitch and velocity in one message?

How is this done exactly?

Could you make an example using adsr~?

Cheers

June 19, 2009 | 10:32 pm

you could collect pitch, velocity, duration, etc. into a list, then [prepend] an index for the whole list. Then you route within the poly~ (since route works with lists), unpack it, and send the values where they’re needed. I find this better than doing things separately, it makes more sense to me to keep similar sets of parameters together. So as another example, you could have the cutoff, gain, and resonance for a filtergraph~ collected into a similar list… or brightness, contrast, and saturation going into jit.brcosa. [route] is incredibly useful once you start using #1 etc. in abstractions or polys~.

June 20, 2009 | 6:03 pm

Thanks!

"then [prepend] an index for the whole list"

Ehhhm, what ?

June 20, 2009 | 6:06 pm

Ahh, off course, sorry Smile

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)