Forums > MaxMSP

1D Cellular Automata (help me with my crappy patch)

July 1, 2010 | 7:24 pm

Hello,

I am trying to learn a little about Cellular Automata. I am trying to make a little 1D CA in MAX. I made a patch based on a simple switching circuit. It seems to work but it is messy. A very typical patch for me, not clean or elegant everything is brute force connecting cables. I wonder if someone might have a look at it and suggest how to make it better, cleaner. It’s not a large patch so it is simple to see what is happening.

thanks in advance

K

Attachments:
  1. Basic_1DCA.maxpat

July 2, 2010 | 10:04 am

Thank you for taking a look Raja. I will look into PAK, Jit.Linden and I did not know about the wolfram patch so I will definitely look at that as well.

Cheers

K


July 2, 2010 | 2:07 pm

The PAK object is great for my little patch. Cuts down on cabling and outputs all at once, perfect. The Jit.Linden object is a little complex for me yet. I will have to do a bit of study on that one. The Wolfram patch is fantastic. It is a very complex patch but I recognize the patterns and it is easy to control. I can reduce size of the L-System to 12 and then I get 8 gate outs which is essentially what I wanted 8 chaotic gates to send to my modular synth.

So thanks again for the tips I will go off now and study up on L-Systems.

Cheers K


Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)