Forums > Dev

32bit external working on 64bit Max?

November 12, 2013 | 7:17 am

I’ve just finished my first external. I compiled it in 32bits with XCode, and it is working fine in 32bits Max, as expected.
I supposed I had to re-compile it in 64bits format but I opened Max in 64bits and the external works just fine as well.

- Don’t the externals have to be in the same architecture than the host? What’s going on here?
- Even if the external work, is there any downside of it being 32bits in a 64bits host?
- Windows has .mxe and .mxe64 type of files, but how can you compile a 32 and a 64bits version in OSX if both files extensions are .mxo?

Thanks in advance!

November 12, 2013 | 1:22 pm

Some of the questions are answered in the SDK documentation. Basically MacOS have a notion of fat architecture the same mxo can contain more than one architecture… Windows does not.

November 13, 2013 | 2:17 am

Thanks for your answer Emmanuel. Yes, I read the SDK but I didn’t get all the answers so I asked here.

One question remains unanswered tho, Why the 32bits external work on the 64bits host?

November 13, 2013 | 5:35 am

Hi,

If your computer has a 64-bits architecture, the 32-bits softwares should run on it (the reverse is not true) but a 64-bits software should be faster(~).

- Don’t the externals have to be in the same architecture than the host? What’s going on here?

Your external should have the same architecture than Max.

- Even if the external work, is there any downside of it being 32bits in a 64bits host?

No but it should be better to use the same architecture.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)