3d data?

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:27pm

3d data?

Hi everyone i’m trying to build a probabilistic drum machine that uses probabilities for each note. I think about it as x axis being beat number (e.g., 1 – 64), y axis being possible samples (e.g., 1 – 8), and z axis being probabilities (1 – 100).
I can’t figure out which object could handle that all together in a nice visual way. Any idea?
Thanks
A

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:21pm

You could use two [multisliders], one for X and Z, and one laid on top (bkgd transparent and sliders mostly transparent) for Y. Switch between which is active using ignoreclick $1 or a bringtofront message to [thispatcher]. You could have a [tab] to switch, or use [modifiers] to use the Control key to switch them, for example.

For real 3D display, I’m sure something cool could be done with jit.gl.gridshape(s), maybe you could even get a sphere to show all 3 somehow. Map a texture with your data onto it (try the different mapping to get the right one, so it’s a wrapped grid, I think it’s tex_map 2)…then maybe have a second sphere of the same size and position, but wireframe, and with different dim attributes to represent 1-8, for example. But this wouldn’t be interactive the way the [multislider] would be.

You can do the probabilities with < , but if you haven't checked out the probability elements of [table], you might want to...sending it a bang will send out a randomly-selected index, but the indices with higher values will come out more often. Can be handy. And of course [pattr] or [preset] work with all these elements.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:40am

Cool i like the jitter idea!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.