3D max .obj files crash Jitter

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:54am

3D max .obj files crash Jitter

Hi There,
I am a 3d animator, and want to get my 3d models into Jitter. I have created my .obj files, but when I try to load them up, Max/MSP crashes. It doesn’t matter how simple my .obj files are…even if it is just a box, it will still crash Max/MSP. Yet, when I tried the Mushrooms .obj file that comes in the examples folder, that works fine. I’m using windows xp (not service pack 2), 3d Max 7 and all the latest Max/MSP & Jitter versions. I have uploaded one of my .obj files here – http://homepage.mac.com/putnis/thor/object5.obj

-Cheers

#32950
Jul 19, 2007 at 11:36am

I’ve noticed this problem as well, and as of yet haven’t found the reason.
I do know that some programs’ obj files will work. E.g. my lightwave
exported obj files run fine on mac, but crash on xp.
After loading the object in SketchUp and re-exporting it to obj, it will
run fine.

>
> Hi There,
> I am a 3d animator, and want to get my 3d models into Jitter. I have
> created my .obj files, but when I try to load them up, Max/MSP crashes. It
> doesn’t matter how simple my .obj files are…even if it is just a box, it
> will still crash Max/MSP. Yet, when I tried the Mushrooms .obj file that
> comes in the examples folder, that works fine. I’m using windows xp (not
> service pack 2), 3d Max 7 and all the latest Max/MSP & Jitter versions. I
> have uploaded one of my .obj files here -
> http://homepage.mac.com/putnis/thor/object5.obj
>
> -Cheers
>

#109163
Jul 19, 2007 at 11:58am

hi
here my max doesnt crash put just puts up a single pologon
i’ve loaded the file in cinema4d , there it worked
then i exported it to obj again

and the loaded in jitter , that works too ,
the obj file from c4d is some different than you file ,

its here http://www.martinjan.com/object5_c4d.obj

-mj
>I’ve noticed this problem as well, and as of yet haven’t found the reason.
>I do know that some programs’ obj files will work. E.g. my lightwave
>exported obj files run fine on mac, but crash on xp.
>After loading the object in SketchUp and re-exporting it to obj, it will
>run fine.
>
>
>
>>
>> Hi There,
>> I am a 3d animator, and want to get my 3d models into Jitter. I have
>> created my .obj files, but when I try to load them up, Max/MSP crashes. It
>> doesn’t matter how simple my .obj files are…even if it is just a box, it
>> will still crash Max/MSP. Yet, when I tried the Mushrooms .obj file that
>> comes in the examples folder, that works fine. I’m using windows xp (not
>> service pack 2), 3d Max 7 and all the latest Max/MSP & Jitter versions. I
>> have uploaded one of my .obj files here -
>> http://homepage.mac.com/putnis/thor/object5.obj
>>
>> -Cheers
>>
>

#109164
Jul 19, 2007 at 12:20pm

Thanks for your quick responses.
I tried your Cinema 4d OBJ model (tried it on a Mac this time (Dual G5 2.0 Ghz Radeon 9600 with 128 MB VRAM, 2GB RAM)), and it refused to load the file (exactly the same thing as what the mac does when it tries to load my .obj models).
Also, is there any reason why there is a .txt extension after the .obj extension on your cinema 4d obj? Is this a requirement for Jitter to be able to read 3d models?

-Cheers

#109165
Jul 19, 2007 at 1:11pm

Are you running Jitter 1.6.3? There were some bug fixes with
Jit.gl.model in 1.6.3 with regard to textures, but perhaps something
else sneaked in that resolved a crash or two.

Ive successfully gotten models in with textures from

Soft Image XSI

Maya

Cheetah3D

Sketchup

Wings3D

Blender

On Jul 19, 2007, at 7:36 AM, brecht@autofasurer.net wrote:

> I’ve noticed this problem as well, and as of yet haven’t found the
> reason.
> I do know that some programs’ obj files will work. E.g. my lightwave
> exported obj files run fine on mac, but crash on xp.
> After loading the object in SketchUp and re-exporting it to obj, it
> will
> run fine.
>
>
>
>>
>> Hi There,
>> I am a 3d animator, and want to get my 3d models into Jitter. I have
>> created my .obj files, but when I try to load them up, Max/MSP
>> crashes. It
>> doesn’t matter how simple my .obj files are…even if it is just a
>> box, it
>> will still crash Max/MSP. Yet, when I tried the Mushrooms .obj
>> file that
>> comes in the examples folder, that works fine. I’m using windows
>> xp (not
>> service pack 2), 3d Max 7 and all the latest Max/MSP & Jitter
>> versions. I
>> have uploaded one of my .obj files here -
>> http://homepage.mac.com/putnis/thor/object5.obj
>>
>> -Cheers
>>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

#109166
Jul 19, 2007 at 1:44pm

hi

there is no text extension in my file
think it has to do with how you DL it

but try again here

http://www.martinjan.com/obj/

i have no probs with obj files
do it all the time

-mj
>Thanks for your quick responses.
>I tried your Cinema 4d OBJ model (tried it on a Mac this time (Dual
>G5 2.0 Ghz Radeon 9600 with 128 MB VRAM, 2GB RAM)), and it refused
>to load the file (exactly the same thing as what the mac does when
>it tries to load my .obj models).
>Also, is there any reason why there is a .txt extension after the
>.obj extension on your cinema 4d obj? Is this a requirement for
>Jitter to be able to read 3d models?
>
>-Cheers

#109167
Jul 19, 2007 at 2:47pm

I’ve just downloaded Wings 3D and converted my .3ds files exported from Max into .obj files, and they all work perfectly fine in Jitter. That tends to suggest that my copy of 3d Max 7 is not doing its job properly.

Thanks again for your help guys

Ken

#109168
Jul 19, 2007 at 3:20pm

One thing ive noticed with the OBJ files is that the format seems to
be pretty loosely implemented in different apps, so it doesnt
surprise me at all that some apps dont work.

OBJ is also a pretty relegated file format, there was some discussion
about supporting a newer more robust 3D file format in Jitter 2.0.

Obviously cycling has no promises with that though

On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:48 AM, Thor wrote:

>
> I’ve just downloaded Wings 3D and converted my .3ds files exported
> from Max into .obj files, and they all work perfectly fine in
> Jitter. That tends to suggest that my copy of 3d Max 7 is not doing
> its job properly.
>
> Thanks again for your help guys
>
> Ken

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

#109169
Jul 21, 2007 at 3:15am

I’m also having problems with models – only with Maya. No obj models that I’ve created in Maya have yet to import. I keep getting “xxx.obj” is not a model file” in the max window. Though I am able to re-import the obj back into maya with no difficulty.

Any ideas of what the issue might be? I know Maya has the potential to export working models for Jitter but I must be missing some part of this.

Thanks for any forthcoming info.
d

#109170
Jul 21, 2007 at 3:24am

ok – interesting. I think this must be some kind of text formatting issue. Basically took one of the working models from the patches folder in the max install, opened with text edit, and pasted the geometry data from my model in there instead.

Clunky but works. Though if you have any additional info as to what I’m doing wrong – pls advise.

d

#109171
Aug 4, 2008 at 6:14am

Hey,

Same issues over here. Exporting straight out of Blender as .obj will only load in jitter with certain preferences checked. But even then there are issues to do with normals (i think) the lighting and shading does not work on the model properly.

If I export out of blender .obj then into wings 3d then back out as .obj we have a slightly better result. The shading works but…..
The quads are all triangulated for some annoying reason.

Might try out of sketchUp tonight see how that works!!

btw I got the whole normals idea from this post – these guys seem to have quite a specific grasp on the problem.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97476

Also, while I’m here does any one know of a way to convert illustrator files into a format that can be read into jitter as points or even better as stroke commands. I know there was one other thread that suggested someone got close but not quit there.

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=27900&start=0&rid=0&S=8165f6167e1bf87053cd60693c397aeb

#109172
Aug 4, 2008 at 6:08pm

if on a mac and using max 4, you can try jit-ogre instead of gl.model.

http://www.jitogre.org

#109173

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.