Forums > Jitter

3D stereography in jitter – tutorial patch

May 15, 2008 | 1:47 pm

I am interested in knowing if anybody has any experience with stereography in jitter. I have looked through this forum and found that the amount of information is very limited. I have noticed thought that the possibility of stereo is now mentioned in the documentation distributed with jitter but unfortunately I have not been able to find a tutorial patch describing how exactly to set this up.

If any one know of such a patch or can in any other way bring some insights to how this is done it would help me a lot.

Thanks
- Jakob

May 15, 2008 | 4:57 pm

this might be useful, dl the Stereo OpenGL example…

http://2uptech.com/patches.html

May 19, 2008 | 2:11 pm

Or you can simply unpack the video signals and repack them into a new image using R from signal 1 and GB from signal two.

June 23, 2008 | 5:35 am

After years of following Cycling ’74 and rooting for them, I’m afraid it appears to me they are turning corporate, which means, to some extent, competing against their own clients.

Some of us are programmers – but have no interested in competing with Cycling ’74 but just want an EDGE in our Live Performance.

Cycling ’74, on the other hand, (and I’m an Owner of MAX/MSP 5.0 and Jitter and Hypno), has told me that they expect us to go back to MAX/MSP 4.x if we want to produce an Audio Unit (AU).

Fair enough.

But when I asked for how I move forward and some kind of general time-table, knowing they could give me none because of competitive reasons (other companies out there), they told me, almost mocking me, "Thanks for your enthusiasm in Pluggo….you will need to use MAX/MSP 4.x" — It sounded like a patronizing statement or someone attempting to be polite but not accomplishing it very well.

If this keeps up, I’ll go out on my own with MainStage, AU with C++ and the use of NVIDIA CUDO. I am too familiar with companies who, once friendly with their customers, begin to become more evasive and distance themselves.

Now that they’ve gone fully to support Windoze…I’m pretty sure this is the case.

I’m not happy at all with the changes I’m seeing.

C74: GIVE US SOME CLEAR DIRECTION ON MAX/MSP 5.0 AND IT’S EFFECTS ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF PLUG-INS AND JITTER AND PLEASE PROVIDE MORE CLOSE CUSTOMER FEEDBACK LIKE YOU HAVE IN THE PAST…

…Or, :-), or, well, dang it, I guess I’ll bleach my Cycling ’74 T-Shirt (Joke :-)

Seriously, give us a break and don’t upgrade MAX/MSP and then tell us (Me) or anyone else to go back to where they came from (earlier versions).

Try to stay true as you grow…otherwise, who would want to stick around if you buddy up with Microsucks.

Just responding to what the Gentleman said
———–< NO FLAMES PLEASE FROM OTHERS >————–
Just responding to what the Gentleman said

June 23, 2008 | 8:26 am

Hi,
Just saw this post. It is possible to do both active and passive
stereo in Jitter. Passive requires normal hardware. Active requires
a workstation class graphics card. Which are you interested in?

wes

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 6:47 AM, Jakob

wrote:
>
> I am interested in knowing if anybody has any experience with stereography in jitter. I have looked through this forum and found that the amount of information is very limited. I have noticed thought that the possibility of stereo is now mentioned in the documentation distributed with jitter but unfortunately I have not been able to find a tutorial patch describing how exactly to set this up.
>
> If any one know of such a patch or can in any other way bring some insights to how this is done it would help me a lot.
>
> Thanks
> – Jakob
>
>

June 23, 2008 | 8:52 am

plasmaphonic, though obviously in the wrong thread, I know what you mean. A teacher, who introduced us to Max said, after some of us got interested in the program, that the Max team are good guys, and in his experience they would be most likely to grant us some multi-user student license on which we could explore beyond the trial and 90 days. (I’m not saying the student pricing is off, but for a lot of people it’s at this moment not an option to drop 250E)

But the e-mail I received was very cold. Check out the student pricing at this url. End. So far for the sympathy.

June 23, 2008 | 4:03 pm

guys, take this discussion to a new thread on the max forum if you feel the need to vent any more.
none of this has anything to do with 3D stereography in jitter.

June 23, 2008 | 5:10 pm

"Guy"

I’ve not responded, so try to get your facts straight.

C’74 is not looking so "nice" anymore…now that I’ve spent all the money on MAX/MSP and I get the upgrade and I’m told to go back to the previous version.

???

June 23, 2008 | 5:30 pm

Hi Robert,
Robert is simply asking you to start a new thread out of courtesy to
other forum/mailing list users since it’s off topic from the post
title. It’s really just common courtesy, something you seem to be
very keen on.

best,
wes

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Robert Thompson

wrote:
>
> "Guy"
>
> I’ve not responded, so try to get your facts straight.
>
> C’74 is not looking so "nice" anymore…now that I’ve spent all the money on MAX/MSP and I get the upgrade and I’m told to go back to the previous version.
>
> ???
>

June 23, 2008 | 8:36 pm

Robert is wrong about Robert :), I don’t want to start a new thread.

Just wanted to make a comment (and I did), in a new thread the comment would be the same, where do new MAX/MSP 5.0 users go, backward or forward?

I don’t wish to go backward, and the support person I talked to did not give any options to move forward. Keen…sincere?

June 23, 2008 | 10:24 pm

Hehe I don’t follow you at all.

But did everything work out on the stereography subject?

June 24, 2008 | 11:23 am

I thought stereography had something to do with mapping planes to other shapes (like making a flat earth map), whereas stereoscopy is the thing Rapatski is referring to (the separation of R and GB feeds).

The example justin gave was also about stereoscopy. Maybe this is what you mean after all? In that case, i know Mattijs (and to a lesser extent, Nesa and me) recently did a project involving a real-time stereoscopic preview on a set (The eventual output would be polarized). This is very possible in Max, you can just input two black/white signals as two parts of an RGB signal. Signal delays and interlacing were bigger problems than any of the jitter calcs.

June 24, 2008 | 9:21 pm

I’m excited to try all of this when MAX/MSP 5.0 is updated to be able to create Audio Units for Main Stage, or Ableton Live.

Or am I wrong on this?

June 25, 2008 | 12:12 am

Yes, 3D Stereography will make Main Stage sound really good!

On 6/24/08 2:21 PM, "Robert Thompson"

wrote:

>
> I’m excited to try all of this when MAX/MSP 5.0 is updated to be able to
> create Audio Units for Main Stage, or Ableton Live.
>
> Or am I wrong on this?

June 25, 2008 | 6:09 pm

I’m referring to AU’s that provide graphic visualization.

I hope you didn’t think I was the "fool on the hill"

He shouting something back down the hill, listen, shhh, closely…

June 25, 2008 | 6:11 pm

Anyway, I believe what your trying to say is that your a legend in your own mind…that’s cool.

But I was just asking a simple question.

June 25, 2008 | 10:09 pm

Some more elaborate theory, please..

June 25, 2008 | 10:59 pm

Well Theory is the name of the .jpg file, and demonstrated technology that’s observable is not theory, although it’s interpretation may vary from person to person.

Getting back to some sincere discussion…I think all of us in this area want to develop ways to amaze crowds in what I presume would be small venues.

For me, the solution is Live performance using MacPro and it’s CoreAudio aggregation in Mac OSX Leopard (first introduced in TIger).

So if you want more, as you call it "theory" …

CoreAudio aggregation.

Image Units.

Stay away from Mickeysoft Windoze.

Any technology that begins to grow in that market will be integrated into Windows eventually.

Trust me, I know from experience; patent experience.

I like Cycling ’74…but I’m still learning MAX/MSP and Jitter.

What I will have to do in the mean time, however, is develop on the XCode level on my own and use CUDO from NVIDIA until 5.0 is re-engineered for Pluggo generation of Audio Units.

Cycling ’74 could be in the middle of a great coming of age in Visual Computing, but not without care for developers, because competitors are starting to emerge.

I applied for NVIDIA CUDO and was accepted and am looking forward to it.

I think Cycling ’74 is better off sticking as a niche within the MacPro market. Visual Computing has been a part of Microsoft Research for quite sometime. I can assure you, if given the chance, they will wipe you out by offering a construction set in Windows in the long run.

But that’s C74′s choice.

Audio Aggregation over multiple Firewire devices with broad channel separation is a key to nvision.

What I’d like to ask you, kindly is, are you asking in sincerity or just being a smart’a?

Your post "Yes, 3D Stereography will make Main Stage *sound* really good!" suggests the latter…but provide me with some theory of your own if I’m incorrect, or perhaps tell me why you think AU’s will make 3D Stereography "sound good" when it’s the Image Unit in cooperation with an AU and CoreAudio that would do this.

I’m listening…

June 26, 2008 | 5:42 am

The comment on a good ‘sounding mainstage was not mine, mind you.

I understand the idea of stereoscopy fairly well, just though you were doing somthing stereoscopical(!) with sound, but couldn’t get clear what you were doing, exactly. But then I still don’t understand.

But your audio has nothing to do with stereoscopy?

June 26, 2008 | 6:00 am

Well I’m new to the actual use of MAX/MSP and Jitter though I’ve been following the company Cycling’74 for several years now because they seem very unique and true to themselves.

I hope as they move into the Windows market this remains the case.

Let me do some more thinking before explaining. Most of my programming has been on the C++ (for AU) and Objective-C (for Mac OSX in general) level.

What I could really use is a Tutorial that shows MAX/MSP 5.0 interacting with Jitter.

So for example, you have a changing Thermal Imaging Video (for demonstrative purposes say a moving particle effect turned into color levels that represent heat levels), and have several of those accessible as input data, either analyzing it like a scan-line model,or analyzing it anyway that would be uniform no matter what image is moving.

You take that and use it as a modulator of sorts but in a very subtle way. The kind of subtlety that sneaks up on people, for example, a college kid smoking grass (which I don’t condone, tried it, didn’t like it, made me paranoid) for the first time and that feeling sneaks up on you.

Well, that feeling that something beyond you is happening in a live performance is something that I think all of this should be trying to achieve.

So your performing, just as any normal stage band, but in a small venue with surround sound (like a Cinema with no seats and no screen; just hidden effects throughout the entire 360).

You play and people are enjoying themselves and then they start to notice that the "community" (thus Bayesian) behavior of the whole crowd seems to be influencing various things.

As you get into the latter stages of the session, you begin to amplify these effects and start using visual effects (people need to be introduced to candy slowly; if you come out all colored up; they’ll dismiss it as glamor and glitter).

Stereography has it’s applications here.

I’m actually looking for some source of funding to be able to perform experiments in such a venue. I have all the power I need in my studio equipment. What I need is a small place to rent and go to like St. Andrew’s here in Detroit, awesome seeing new acts there early that later explode.

I’ll keep trying to move forward. I like Cycling ’74…they are unique.

You can see my blog at http://thepretoriaproject.blogspot.com/ just take care in the interpretation. It’s ultimate goal though is a winding road leading to music visualization; but it is a winding road.

-peace

June 27, 2008 | 4:45 am

Dude, do the Jitter tutorials…. they are all ‘Max interacting with Jitter’.

There are so many ways to approach your tutorial in Jitter…

June 27, 2008 | 3:41 pm

Thanks. I’ll do that.

June 27, 2008 | 3:44 pm

I assume you’re talking about the 3 part Jitter Tutorials.

Though I’m sure they are more if I keep going back in history on the Tutorial Pages, I will start with these beg. with the 1st.

If this assumption is wrong, kindly let me know.

Thanks broe.

June 27, 2008 | 8:56 pm

I’m the fellow that made the smart-back comment about 3D stereography making
mainstage sound really good. Not meant an attack on your questions or
conversations, but on your unwillingness to change the subject header. I
welcome your dialog and there is certainly a place for it on this list. But
think about this.

Someone is battling a deadline trying to figure out how to do 3D
stereography in jitter, so they query the jitter forums. There is only a
few posts buried amongst dozens of post that are relevant to that topic now.
If I wanted to find out about AU support in max5, or complain about lack
there of, that would be harder to track-down.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with after delving into jitter.
I am also very interested in visual-3D stuff, but haven’t gone down that
path yet.

Cheers,

Christopher Overstreet

June 28, 2008 | 9:00 am

StereoSCOPY, like Bas mentioned earlier ;)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)