Forums > Jitter

4.6/1.6 — Major Drop in FPS — Still Problems

April 13, 2007 | 1:47 am

Hello.

Please excuse this somewhat rambling post. I just finished a couple of hours of uninstalling/reinstalling different versions of Max/Jitter and going through a ton of debugging, so I don’t claim complete coherency.

ENVIRONMENT:
XP, Dell 6400 laptop. Core2Duo 2.16. 2Gb RAM. Radeon x1400. QuickTime 6.5.1. Java 5.x.

PROBLEM:
Last week I reported a major drop in FPS when upgrading from Max 4.5.x / Jitter 1.5.x to 4.6.2 / 1.6.2.

My patches are all QT-based. No OpenGL. No slabs.

More details at this url, but I’m recounting the highlights in this new post:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=25422&start=0&rid=0&S=5e591b78987982dcc6bd9250ad46d311

EXPECTED RESULTS:
FPS to remain the same in the upgraded versions of Max/Jitter compared to older versions.

FINAL ACTION:
When I reverted to 4.5.x/1.5.x, my problems disappeared.

MORE DETAILS:
Jeremy suggested it might be related to a change in the default behavior of jit.qt.movie and ‘highquality’.

Was not the case — the highquality setting made no difference.

I have spent alot of time tearing my patches apart, but nothing helps the problem.

I initially suspected a problem with addressing both cores, but Task Manager indicated both in use.

However…

SECOND SITUATION:
Unless I’m making a mistake, the following Messages to Jitter work in 4.5.x/1.5.x but *have no effect* in 4.6.2/1.6.2 on my machine:

parallel
parallelthreads

Other messages, such as ‘about’, do work.

EXPECTED RESULTS:
Jitter messages ‘parallel’ and ‘parallel threads’ work in 4.6.2/1.6.2

BOTTOM LINE:
Any thoughts or suggestions? I don’t think it’s worth posting patches, because just about any qt-based patch I’ve tried experiences the problem.

I’m especially concerned about the messages to Jitter issue. With the significant drop in FPS and the processor-related messages not working on my machine, it seems like something’s up…

Thanks.

Adam

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)