Forums > MaxMSP

4 channel surround trouble

April 5, 2010 | 2:42 pm

Hey guys,

Im really new to max and audio related hardware in general so this may seem like a rather dumb question.

Iv got my hands on the msg.surround 4 channel panning patch by M S Grierson and Im looking to route the output of it to an external surround sound home receiver.
I have connected it up using a digital link (optical cable) and set the receiver to 4 speaker output but when i use the patch n conjunction with the receiver its only the front two speakers that are playing back sound. The rear speakers are totally silent.

Am i going bout this in the right way? would i need an surround sound interface in order to do this or can it be achieved.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Rob

April 5, 2010 | 3:10 pm

how are you getting output from Max? External soundcard? You’re only getting 2-ch output currently. I’m not familiar with the patch you mention, but you must duplicate the patch’s outputs with your soundcard hardware.

April 5, 2010 | 3:11 pm

ps
and you do this under DSP Status/IO Mappings

April 5, 2010 | 3:40 pm

Hey,

Iv got a Macbook pro and Im using the Core-audio built in output as the driver. Im beginning to think it may be a problem with the patch.

April 5, 2010 | 3:52 pm

I don’t use a Mac, but do you not just get 2-ch left and right built-in audio in/out? Multi-channel output is fairly straightforward, and doubley so in MaxMSP, so i guess it’s highly unlikely it’s the patch. Use the helpfile for the [dac~] object, also use the DSP ‘tester’, i think it’s under Extras

April 5, 2010 | 4:08 pm

The headphone out on the new MAC pros doubles up as a digital out (strange) works fine for 5.1 dvds.ill have a look at the dac~ helpfile

Cheers dude. appreciate the help.

April 5, 2010 | 4:12 pm

remember to post your solution if and when you achieve it…good for future similar enquiries

April 6, 2010 | 9:23 pm

you need to hav an output of "dac~ 1 2 3 4 5 6" to use all the outputs i imagine and have the right connector cable from your mac to the system. I assume it will relate as L R C Lfe Ls Rs but not sure woudl haev to check on your in out set up.

hope that helps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)