Forums > MaxMSP

5.1 Sound in Max 5

October 26, 2011 | 2:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m still pretty new to Max and MSP so I’m not sure how easy or difficult my problem is. I am currently working in Max 5 and I am trying to get several different audio files to play and each one should play through a different speaker. So for example if I had four sounds I would want one to play through the back left speaker, the second the back right, third the front left and the fourth the front right.

I can get them to trigger at different times easily enough but so far I have only been able to get the sounds to play through the standard ezdac~ component and that only gives me two channels (i.e. left and right).

So I would just like to know if I am perhaps using the wrong component or perhaps there is a way to add in the extra channels for 5.1 sound? As I said I am still very new to Max and I am not even sure if it is possible.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

October 26, 2011 | 2:30 pm

Use [dac] instead of [ezdac] and give each one an argument.

You’ll have to make sure your soundcard is setup right, but you could have 4 objects [dac 1], [dac 2], etc… and each would be a different output. (Same goes for inputs)

EMV
October 26, 2011 | 2:53 pm

to add to Rodrigo’s answer:

You could also make one dac object, and give it a list of arguments:

[dac~ 1 2 3 4 5 6]

this will give you access to the first 6 channels of your sound card (audio interface).

October 26, 2011 | 2:58 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the quick response. I’ll try it out and see if it works. I’m using an external 5.1 sound card that connects with fire-wire to my Mac. I’m sure the dac~ object will work for what I need.

Thanks again

October 26, 2011 | 4:11 pm

I would like to up the bar on this question…

Does anyone know of a way to encode multi channel audio within Max,
into a common 5.1 format that I could then send to my surround sound
receiver to decode?

October 26, 2011 | 4:11 pm

I would like to up the bar on this question…

Does anyone know of a way to encode multi channel audio within Max,
into a common 5.1 format that I could then send to my surround sound
receiver to decode?

October 26, 2011 | 6:08 pm

Some kind of n-channel approach/composition?

http://scottwilson.ca/files/Rethinking%20the%20BEAST.pdf

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)