Forums > MaxMSP

Xon
March 6, 2009 | 8:07 pm

I tried to record 5.1 soundfiles with the sfrecord 6 object within Max MSP in order to create 6-channel files.
But when I try to import this soud file within a sequencer, Digital Performer for example, I get a Mac error message 43 – file not found, apparently because there is no container.
Does somebody know how to solve this problem ?
I want to make a 6-channel (5.1) soundfile within Max MSP and then import it within a sequencer.
Many thanks for your help

March 7, 2009 | 2:19 am

Do you manage to open your file with Quicktime (or Quicktime Pro?)

March 7, 2009 | 11:21 am

The one main problem you could be having is that you actual sound card is not suited to 5.1.

If you are just using something like a built-in sound card, then it is pretty much impossible to open it up. Mainly because it would just be a mess of information, with not enough channels for it to go to.

If you have something like a MOTU MK2-3, then it is possible as this does have more than 6 channels of output. or anything else that has more than just 2 channels

Are you using a built in, or a proper soundcard?…

March 8, 2009 | 3:54 am
Lewis G. Edwards wrote on Sat, 07 March 2009 05:21
The one main problem you could be having is that you actual sound card is not suited to 5.1.

If you are just using something like a built-in sound card, then it is pretty much impossible to open it up. Mainly because it would just be a mess of information, with not enough channels for it to go to.

My understanding is that the sfplay~ and sfrecord~ number of channels is not dependent on the sound card, only the CPU and the hard drive… up to 28 channels, as stated in the documentation. Where the sound card comes in is with adc~ and dac~, for input and playback of actual physical channels, so you couldn’t play back a 6-channel sound file in surround if you only had a 2-channel sound card. However, you could play back a 6-channel "sfrecorded~" file and stream the channels into L and R, even with a 2-channel sound card, isn’t this correct?

Not sure why your sfrecord~ 6 isn’t working, I’ve gotten it to work in the past with a 2-channel sound card, the file opened up in Audition just fine with all 6 channels.

March 8, 2009 | 9:22 am

im terribly sorry Xon. I did miss interpret you problem. Your [sfrecord~ 6] should work no matter what.

Sorry for the miss leading resolution i gave you.

Cheers for putting me right seejay, been a tiring night Maxing Wink

Xon
March 8, 2009 | 6:15 pm

My problem for importing 5.1 soudfiles does not come from my soundcard since I’ve got a 8-channel soundcard Fireface.

I can open the soundfile within Quicktime and I tried also with Audiosculpt and I’ve got no problem for reading it on 6 channels.

Apparently the problem comes more from my sequencer Digital performer. Each time I try to import a 6-channel file, I’ve got a Mac OS error – file not found.

Many thanks for your quick answers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)