Forums > Jitter

500 words with jit.gl.text3d

September 17, 2009 | 12:13 pm

Hello,

i would like to display 500 different words, in 500 different places, using jit.gl.text3d. Then, i would like to be able to navigate in these words with the camera.

I’ve tried using 500 different jit.gl.text3d, and i’ve tried using just one jit.gl.text3d (for the 500 words and positions). With the 2 solutions, I’ve a huge drop in fps.

Would you have any idea ?

Thank you !!!

MJ
September 18, 2009 | 6:30 am

add patch?

tried it with jit.gl.model?
or jit.gl.multiple

September 18, 2009 | 10:16 am

Thank you for your answer.

Here is a patch that illustrate what i try to do…

September 18, 2009 | 10:18 am

To use it, you need this .jxf patch to fill a matrix with the 10 words and the 10 coordinates.

jit.gl.multiple seem to do the trick, but how can I use it to display 500 different words ?

Thank you !!!

September 19, 2009 | 11:22 am

Anybody know how to, with this patch, display 500 different words without using 500 jit.gl.text3d ?

September 19, 2009 | 11:58 am

You have many possibilities.
Yes [jit.gl.multiple] is one.
Here is a start.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

September 19, 2009 | 3:52 pm

Thank you very much for your patch. I’ve learnt a lot with it.

Unfortunately, if I have understand well, jit.gl.multiple allow me to reproduce a texture (named zzz in your patch), in different locations.

In this way, each texture has the same word. How can I do to display 500 different words in 500 different location ? Thank you !

September 19, 2009 | 5:51 pm

hello,
did you try to poly~lize your patch?
1023 instance should do the work??
But however it’s going to be heavy duty for the processor i think
look on the forum there was a patch using poly~ and jit.qt.movie
and apply it to your needs
cheers
hubert

September 21, 2009 | 11:07 am

Thank you so much for all those answers !
Your patches are great Vanille B. ! It gives me a lot of idea for futur work!!
But I would like to see the 500 words at the same time. (They will come closer to the camera in time.)
So I’ve tried poly~
Here is my patch:

September 21, 2009 | 11:08 am

jxf file:

September 21, 2009 | 11:10 am

And the patcher for poly.

On my macbookpro (2.8ghz), I have around 50% of cpu load, and only 5 fps.

Is there a way to do better ?

Thank you !

September 21, 2009 | 3:29 pm

Only thing i can add is that i don’t think jit.gl.text3d is the right object to do this. No matter how you use it (js or not), it’s too heavy.

I tried to draw 500 words using 1 text3d and a couple colls. Then I removed the colls to see if the coll lookup time would matter, and it does, but not nearly enough to make those 500 words happen. I only get about 5 fps too on my MacPro.

Loading 500 small textures with text and drawing those would probably be a better option than this. Or load a bigger texture and use tex_offset and tex_scale to show parts of it.

Anyway, here’s my try, don’t know if it’s of any use. GL!

September 21, 2009 | 11:30 pm

Hello,
My advice would be to create one or two big textures with all your words rendered into equal-sized chunks. From there you can use a variation of the TinyVideo jit.gl.mesh Recipe to render a bunch of quads with different texcoords. It’s definitely a more advanced approach than just a bunch of jit.gl.text3d objects, but you will get much greater efficiency with this method. In this patch I use jit.lcd to render the text into a larger matrix.

Best,
Andrew B.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)