8 Channel Panning Question;

Anonymous

Anonymous
Feb 24, 2011 at 3:56pm

Hi,

I’m trying to modify the four channel panning “pan4S.maxhelp” to achieve an eight channel panner.
So far I’ve managed to get eight individual outs however, when I pan in a circular motion all of the
faders show signal levels until it arrives exactly at the number that represents a particular channel.

I’ve used the square root panner from the original help patch and its been through trial and error that
I’ve managed this much having not really an understanding of the math behind the pan curve.

I’d really like to be able to make this function like the 4 channel version in that when panning occurs it is
between two channels at a time as it goes around the circle.

I have lots of third party patches that use vbap and ambisonics etc. But I’m just interested in
knowing if its possible within the confines of this patch with correct alterations to achieve a
panner that will allow correct rotation of signal.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Kind Regards,
ateight.

Below is the ‘compressed format’ of the patch and the pan8S subpatch

8 Channel Panner

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

pan8S Subpatch

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Feb 25, 2011 at 1:00am

Hello I m not sure but I think that you try to port oldie abstraction from Spat 3 to adapt to Spat 4.

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:32am

Hi ateight,

I have 3, 6, and 8 channel versions of the pan4s abstractions here: http://www.zacharyseldess.com/z.abstractions.html

Will soon have a variable channel amplitude panner that combines all of these, but not ready to post it just yet. You might also check out cosm, vbap, etc.

best,
Zachary

Anonymous

Anonymous
Feb 25, 2011 at 4:36pm

Hi,

thanks for those responses!

I did manage to get it to work in the end but I’m very appreciative of the advice and links!! (Zachery)

Thanks again,
ateight.

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:58pm

Care to post & share your working solution? :)

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:25pm

Dis you try to convert some abstractions from Spat 3 to Spat 4 for Max 5 ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.