Forums > MaxMSP

A few newbie questions

jbl
September 24, 2009 | 4:28 am

Hi,

I recently started using Max 5, I’m getting used to the interface and I’m not familiar with a few objects, I’m building a sequencer and so far it’s fun.

However, I have a few questions that couldn’t be answered by tutorials and such.

1) Every time I load my patch I have to reset some toggles and reopen samples, Is there a way to quickly set a default value for some user interface (and other objects) for each time I open the patch?

2) When I load a sample in sfplay~, I’d like a message box to display the name of the sample somewhere. How do I do that?

That’s all for now.

Thanks

September 24, 2009 | 5:48 am

1) The easy answer is the preset object. If you’re more adventurous look at the pattrstorage and related objects.

2) You could use the opendialog object instead of the built-in read procedure of sfplay~.

September 24, 2009 | 10:13 am

You might also want to have a look at [sfinfo~] for displaying information about a file loaded in [sfplay~].

lh

pgk
September 24, 2009 | 1:44 pm

You could also use [loadmess] (= load message). The way to do it is for example: [loadmess 1. 3.14 foo bar] and then [unpack f f s s] and send them to the appropriate places. But you are better off using something like [autopattr @autoname 1], combined with [pattrstorage]. Read the help files for autopattr and pattrstorage.

Cheers

jbl
September 24, 2009 | 10:36 pm

Wow thanks for the fast and complete replies!

pattr seems to be a bit too complicated for me (for now) but it’s great to see that such a tool exists.

loadmess is pretty much what I was looking for, for now. I’m learning it step by step.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)