A few questions about poly~

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:23pm

A few questions about poly~

An intro to my project-

Im using the function object to trigger audio through a groove~ which is inside a poly~ object. Iv got to a point were i now can trigger my sounds with ease and im happy with the sound quality (clickless, to a point).

Now my question is=

If i am going to add effects (which i am) would these need to be inside the poly? or could i create another poly to put the effects in?

Would i need a separate poly for each effect?

If you would like me to post the patch i will, but i don’t think it is really relevant at this point.

Thanks

Daniel

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:35pm

Creating separate polys~ for effects is the normal way to do it. They can also be loaded dynamically – check the poly~ help file.

But why is your groove~ object in a poly~ ? If you have multiple copies you will most likely have to embed a poly~ within a poly~ to have different effects on each groove~ object (I’ve never actually done this, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work)

However if you don’t need separate effects for each groove~ you will want something like …

poly~ withgroovesin

connected to,

poly~ witheffectsin

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:00pm

if you put the effects into the poly, 8 voices of groove will go
to 8 voices of the effect, which you only need when the effects
should have different settings.

in an optimal case you´d have encapsulated effects in the poly
(so that you can turn them off), plus a “main” effect, which is
outside the poly.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:45pm

Iv used the groove inside poly because i was getting clicking with long sustained sounds, each point i plot on the function triggers the sound again. Its a sort of freely input audio sequencer if you get me? with no beat grids an so on. Poly is being used to to take one point and play it then fading out before the next point is triggered to stop the clicking.

So lets say my function to my poly then a gain is 1 channel

im going to have 16 of those (so the user can have upto 16 different audio samples)

i then want the option to select which effects go to which channel.

Would i be right in thinking that i would each effect section inside a poly and send then to all channels then use something to select which effect is on?

Im pretty new to all this but have a basic understanding of things.

Thanks

Daniel

To do this im going to have a total of 3 effect sections which will be something like-

Spatial effects-reverb delays etc…

Glitch effects-loops and audio mash-up type effects

Tone effects-Flangers distortion maybe some filters

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:22pm

One more question_

Inside my poly im triggering the audio but when im using longer sound files they seem to overlap and don’t stop before the next sound is triggered.

Below is what is inside my poly object can anyone help?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.