a question before I consider demoing Max msp

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:00am

a question before I consider demoing Max msp

I would like to make a midi processing tool but need a selflabeling kick button that can show several editable parameters, change background colours and frame colours. Is this possible in Max MSP?
Thanks
index.php?t=getfile&id=2597&private=0

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:23am

It’s possible… not necessarily easy… for changeable/interactive graphics, you could use the LCD object(if you knew ahead of time what each graphic needed to be you could also use the regular pictctrl object). I’d start there aside from also reading through the tutorials.

…oh(what am i thinking?!), you could also just make a max patch with panels and text elements and change their colors, hide and unhide some letters/elements, change text, as you needed… pretty easily(use ‘thispatcher’ to script the objects behaviors if necessary). i guess it depends on how far you want to go with it or what method you choose within Max. best of luck.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:21pm
maki wrote on Sat, 07 March 2009 01:00
I would like to make a midi processing tool but need a selflabeling kick button that can show several editable parameters, change background colours and frame colours. Is this possible in Max MSP?

You’ll find you can do pretty much anything you want with your UI, it just depends how far you want to go. Number boxes are interactive in several ways, you can have text labels as parts of drop-down menus or in tabs, and changing coloration of virtually any element is possible (and it’s easy to save user-definable presets of these colors). Objects can also be told (in real-time) whether they are active or not, visible or not, what their ranges are, etc, and these commands can also be preset—like having “basic” and “advanced” modes, for example, where some elements aren’t visible in the basic mode, or their ranges are restricted. Very simple to do.

The demo is well worth it… if you’re working on MIDI processing, you’ll be up to your ears in possibilities in no time, and loving it I’m sure. And MIDI is just one of so many things you can do with Max…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.