A second GPU for more fps on the second screen

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:53pm

A second GPU for more fps on the second screen

Hi
I made a big patch, and when in my second screen i put the output windows in full screen (800×600) i pass from 25 fps to 9 fps… and my cpu is not working too hard…
So my question is: if i buy an other GPU (like an other 8800GT) and if i link my second screen on it, the fps would be better?

Thanx

Arthur Lecaron

Max 5.
XP
cpu Q6600
GPU nvidia 8800GT
RAM 1G

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:30pm

i realy would like to have an answer or a point a view in this question before to buy another GPU or totaly remake the patch…
help!!!!

thanx

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:31pm

the 8800gt is a great card, but i don’t think adding a separate card will automatically give you more framerate. but of course it depends on your patch and setup.

are you saying when you go fullscreen on your main display you get better fps then if you go fullscreen on the secondary display? are the resolutions the same? if not then i don’t think an extra card will make much difference. but hard to say without knowing about your patch

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:44pm

Thanx a lot for the answer …

My patch is quiet complex with a lot of subpatch… it’s a mixer of 2 layer of video and audio, for making AV mixe… and you could change the source patch (quick time player, 3D generator..)

The probleme is when i use only one screen in fullscreen i have a good fps but when i use a second screen with a resolutions lower that the main (1st: 1024 768, 2nd: 800 600) i arrived to ridiculous frame rate…

So perhaps it’s because i use diferent render? one for the video generator, one for the output windows..? or….
Thanx…

Arthur Lecaron

http://www.arthurlecaron.com

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:41am
arthurlecaron wrote on Tue, 24 March 2009 09:44
Thanx a lot for the answer …

My patch is quiet complex with a lot of subpatch… it’s a mixer of 2 layer of video and audio, for making AV mixe… and you could change the source patch (quick time player, 3D generator..)

The probleme is when i use only one screen in fullscreen i have a good fps but when i use a second screen with a resolutions lower that the main (1st: 1024 768, 2nd: 800 600) i arrived to ridiculous frame rate…

So perhaps it’s because i use diferent render? one for the video generator, one for the output windows..? or….
Thanx…

You might have better luck using a subpatch and a pwindow rather than a jit.window @fullscreen, I’ve noticed that fullscreen tends to slow interaction and framerate in some cases. With some look into [thispatcher] window messages, you can fake the fullscreen pretty well.

Having little preview windows/movies going in your patch while fullscreen will definitely slow your main projection down too, if possible have these stop, or only update every 250 ms or so.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.