Forums > MaxMSP

Ableton Live: understands noteout, but note ctlout

June 4, 2010 | 10:01 pm

Hi,

I want to use ordinary Max (not Max for Live) to send MIDI data to some VST synths in Live. [noteout] is working how I want, but [ctlout] is behaving strangely.

If I create a [noteout "from MaxMSP 1" 2] object in Max, the track in Live that is set to listen to "from MaxMSP 1" on channel 2 responds to it. The little yellow bar in the track lights up to show it’s receiving data, and the VST synth on the track makes noise.

If I do the same with [ctlout], creating a [ctlout "fromMaxMSP 1" 2] object in Max, the track’s yellow bar lights up again in response to incoming data — but the VST synth does not react to the signals.

If you’d like to see this for yourself, you don’t even need to write any code; all you need is the help patches for [ctlout] and [noteout].

Any idea what’s going on? I own M4L, and am considering writing an M4L hack that uses OSC to get around the problem, but that really seems like overkill.

Thanks,
Jeff

PS: I’m using:
MBP running OS 10.6.3
Ableton Live 8.1.3 with M4L
Max/MSP 5.1.4

June 4, 2010 | 11:38 pm

I think I’ve determined that the problem is Live, not Max, so I’m taking this to the other forum.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)