Forums > Dev

About Max/Msp SDK in C

December 26, 2008 | 1:46 pm

Hello,

I just posted this thread in the Max/Msp section but a good fella told me to post this thread in the Dev section which I could get more help and information about it.

Okay…

I am planning to take some serious C Programming language courses because of wanting to write some externals for MAX/MSP and Jitter.

I know that C++ is not really the thing for Max/Msp and Jitter because of the API stuff (as far as I know) so, what would you guys and gals recommend me? Any recommendations about books or any site or whatever. I really want to dig it.

Thank you very much for anyone who shares some information about it and thanks all of you upfront.

:)

December 26, 2008 | 5:39 pm

Kernigan & Ritchie, _The C Programming Language_, 2nd Edition, Prentice-Hall. ISBN 0131103628.

December 29, 2008 | 3:36 pm

>Kernigan & Ritchie, _The C Programming Language_, 2nd Edition, >Prentice-Hall. ISBN 0131103628.

*YES*
I have to agree: you can and should learn C from this book: it really is not that hard!
The docs for any IDE, and this book is my only "how to learn C" recommendation I have ever had…and all i think is needed.

and for CommonLisp, there is no substitute for Guy Steele’s "CommonLisp: The Language" Ed. 2

both books are considered ‘language definition’ quality books, and are quite readable (at least they were to a ~24 y.o. composer with absolutely no classroom training in computers). They are infinitely better written as learning texts than the AWFUL B. Shostrup C++ book.
I learned enough from these texts, that when the campus I taught at & got my PhD at ( often referred to as "the snake pit" by members of other faculties for it’s … uuhhh … "difficult" …politics) kicked me out on my butt, I was able to live a well paid life as programmer (that was 15 years ago, no break in employment since…).
Ignoring of course the deep depression I was in for over a decade from losing my original (underpaid, but expressive and full of performing) career.

So read K&R, people: it will teach anyone with a clear and insightful enough mind.

l&k
char lieb

December 29, 2008 | 10:17 pm

Quote: Charles Baker wrote on Mon, 29 December 2008 17:36
—————————————————-
> and for CommonLisp, there is no substitute for Guy Steele’s "CommonLisp: The Language" Ed. 2

The CommonLisp programming language is also necessary for writing externals for MAX/MSP?

Btw, thank you for your help!

:)

December 29, 2008 | 11:52 pm

No, but it is one of several programming languages available, embedded within the Max environment (!). I use it only as another example of a useful book written as a language definition. And it was one of the first languages I learned, fitting in with the point that one can learn to program from a book.

Good luck!

cb

December 30, 2008 | 1:39 pm

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 08:36 -0700, Charles Baker wrote:
> >Kernigan & Ritchie, _The C Programming Language_, 2nd Edition, >Prentice-Hall. ISBN 0131103628.
>
> *YES*
> I have to agree: you can and should learn C from this book: it really is not that hard!
> The docs for any IDE, and this book is my only "how to learn C" recommendation I have ever had…and all i think is needed.

If the OP has existing programming experience (e.g. in Pascal or
Python), I think K & R is a perfect way to learn C.

However, IMO it covers general programming concepts in too little
detail, and presents too steep a learning curve for a complete beginner.
YMMV.

If you have no prior programming experience, I would suggest C.
Programming: A Modern Approach by KN King. From this book you will gain
a broader and slower-paced coverage of the subject.

Jamie

http://www.postlude.co.uk

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamiebullock

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)