Forums > MaxMSP

abstraction for recording up to 8 midi notes at once

July 25, 2011 | 4:04 pm

since i got troubles with poly i made a workaround to record poly in a reliable way. please feel free to suggest improvements.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

July 25, 2011 | 5:22 pm

did you look at [borax]? It could be helpful when tracking multiple notes at once, and provides logic/tracking for noteons/noteoffs. Not sure if it can do everything you need for recording 8 inputs, but maybe.

July 25, 2011 | 11:31 pm

lol, no seems like i did not ;) it has exactly what the abstraction did AND it estimates duration automatically. that´s just fantastic, thanks a lot!

July 25, 2011 | 11:46 pm

Back when I originally wrote the Borax object, which was to fill a need that David Wessel (CNMAT) and I identified, there were a couple of demo patches that implemented little sequencers, one using coll and another using tables. I’m sure those patches are lost to the mists of time.

July 25, 2011 | 11:58 pm

Those particular ones may be lost to the mists of time, but FWIW I find myself writing such a patch every so often as a demonstration to students. Something like this.

July 26, 2011 | 3:32 am

it went down easy though looking a bit messy. but its not a playmate.

`
thank you for your help and for borax! it reduced the patch to less than a half (as the first abstract was just the shell).

@Chris

why did you call that "borax"? its a great name, but i don´t get the idea of it ;)

July 26, 2011 | 4:08 am

In it’s original incarnation, it had the tag line "Scrubs note-streams sparkling clean"

July 26, 2011 | 4:37 am

I haven’t actually run your patch, but I’m suspicious of the gate in front of borax to try and limit polyphony. I think that you run a real risk of missing note-offs of sounding notes. Maybe putting a [poly 8] in front instead?

July 26, 2011 | 5:20 am

;)

And yes, thanks. It never opens once reached polyphony.
I made it a multiple condition because something´s wicked about my version of [poly]. Sometimes when placing it or load a patch [poly] won´t initlialize and therefore won´t work, the connections are broken etc.

`

July 26, 2011 | 6:59 am

Does poly show up as a missing object?

July 26, 2011 | 8:50 am

i think so, since it was looking like i entered "popy" or something else unknown. but right now i can´t check cause it works, 2 hours back it didn´t.

seems to me like random, it´s weird. and yes i´ve got the latest version installed withjout any other strange problems at all.

July 26, 2011 | 9:37 am

I would search for poly.* in my Max search paths. Odds are that you have something like poly.txt or poly.wanna.cracker in there.

July 26, 2011 | 1:15 pm

ueh, my project has had a poly-section for the ensoniq eps sequencer. maybe thats been in the way.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)