Access DLS Parameters

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:20pm

Access DLS Parameters

Hi,

I’ve been playing around with DLS control from within max. I have created my own DLS bank and can play it from max but I can find nowhere in the documentation that states if it is possible to control aspects such as the pan and volume.

Can this be done?

Cheers

Andy

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:34pm

I’m assuming this is done using controller messages? But I have no idea which MIDI channel to use or indeed how to specify it dynamically. The help files state 1-16 for port a, 17-32 for port b, but what about user defined ports?

Cheers

Andy

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:05pm

Answered my own question. Although it won’t work with Ctlout for some reason. Works fine with MIDIFormat though.

At least it will be good for reference in case anyone else is like me and suffers brain freeze before they post.

Never mind

Andy

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:40pm

How are you creating your bank? What software?

On 1/16/08 12:05 PM, “Andy Brennan” wrote:

>
> Answered my own question. Although it won’t work with Ctlout for some reason.
> Works fine with MIDIFormat though.
>
> At least it will be good for reference in case anyone else is like me and
> suffers brain freeze before they post.
>
> Never mind
>
> Andy

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:48pm

I’m using Polyphontics 1.6.6.

I’m starting to wonder if it is any good or not though. My DLS instrument does not seem to work every time. Some times I get an error:

error:augraph bank set error -2147450879.

At first it wasn’t working with ctlout. Now it is and isn’t working with midiformat. Strange. And very annoying.

Andy

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:34pm

Andy Brennan schrieb:
> At least it will be good for reference in case anyone else is like me
> and suffers brain freeze before they post.

I have a brain freeze detector as Max patch, it will shut down the
internet connection to prevent posting while the brain is frozen…

By the way, what is DLS? I don’t read tech mags, they are too boring,
and my browser is just frozen as well (it crashed… ;-)

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:45pm

Quote: Stefan Tiedje wrote on Wed, 16 January 2008 14:34
—————————————————-
> I have a brain freeze detector as Max patch, it will shut down the internet connection to prevent posting while the brain is frozen…

Nice. I could have done with that earlier.

DLS = downloadable sounds.

Its basically a sound bank that plays directly from your sound card. The general MIDI sound bank is such bank. This is pretty cool as it doesn’t take up any precious RAM or CPU – and you can make your own banks from what ever samples you want – if you have ever used Direct Music Producer you will be familiar with the sort of interface the authoring tools tend to have.

I paid up for a copy of Polyphonytics 1.6.6 (the only mac DLS authoring tool I can find) to create my own sound banks and they seem to work fine in max… sometimes.

Basically you create a new MIDI port and assign your DLS bank to it. The port creation works every time but half of the time the bank doesn’t load up properly. Which is starting to make me little annoyed now. Since Max obviously started being very MIDI orientated I would find it very unlikely that Max is to blame… possibly.

If you have ever tried playing some MIDI through the noteout object you will have noticed that the GM Piano stats playing. Essentially we are replacing that instrument with our own by changing the out port.

I’ll post a patch and my DLS bank in a moment so you can try.

Cheers

Andy

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:54pm

There are a few samples assigned to MIDI note number 60 thru about 80 I think.

If it works for you let me know so I can smash my computer.

Cheers

Andy

Jan 16, 2008 at 10:59pm

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:15am

On 16 janv. 08, at 19:40, Gary Lee Nelson wrote:

> How are you creating your bank? What software?
>

CDXtract (http://www.cdxtract.com/) can convert samplers libraries to
SoundFont. It’s unfortunately not free…

p

>

Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl

http://www.crfmw.be/max

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:48am

Quote: Roald Baudoux wrote on Wed, 16 January 2008 15:59
—————————————————-
> If you want to avoid DLS-related headaches, the fluidsynth~ external can play DLS too but is much better documented than the Apple OS XDLS player. Moreover, the sound output comes directly into MSP.

Cheers for that its pretty good.

My only issue with it is that it comes back into MSP. Of course this is useful if processing needs to be carried out on the output, but for simple ‘cheap’ sample playback it introduces CPU load that could be avoided if the sounds were played directly from the sound card.

I have one fluidsynth~ object set up playing a different sample on each of the 16 MIDI channels (so that I may pan them independently) and it uses up somewhere between 10% + 20% CPU on dual 2Ghz G5. I’m not sure if this is any cheaper than a well managed 16 voice poly~ sampler?

Andy

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:16pm

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:41pm

I downloaded the trial version of Polyphontics 1.6.6. It looks pretty good
for only $60. I made a couple of instruments importing .aiff files and
samples from existing sf2 banks. Can it open existing instruments or entire
sf2 banks?

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

On 1/16/08 1:48 PM, “Andy Brennan” wrote:

>
> I’m using Polyphontics 1.6.6.
>
> I’m starting to wonder if it is any good or not though. My DLS instrument does
> not seem to work every time. Some times I get an error:
>
> error:augraph bank set error -2147450879.
>
> At first it wasn’t working with ctlout. Now it is and isn’t working with
> midiformat. Strange. And very annoying.
>
> Andy

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:52pm

Hi Gary,

I can’t see any options to access existing .dls or .sf2 files. The only option I can see is to open the XML documents that the program saves out.

Using the .sf2 files exported from Polyphontics I had numerous problems playing back directly from max (using the OS X dls player). It works pretty well using the fluidsynth~ object but I notice that some notes aren’t playing back even though they preview properly in polyphontics. Whether this is my fault (probably) or not remains to be seen.

Andy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.