Access to Carbon and Win32 window handle from Max

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:51am

Access to Carbon and Win32 window handle from Max

Hello all,
I am currently trying to create an external with a GUI. I want to use VSTGUI to manage the GUI (since this module already exists in VST, and I do not want to code the GUI fully once again)
I think that Max/MSP is able to deal with VSTGUI (since my plugin loads perfectly with vst~) but I can not find how to create the window needed by VSTGUI.
On Win32, VSTGUI requires a WINDOW handle. On Mac, it requires a Carbon window pointer. Basically, Max has to create the window, then it defers everything else to VSTGUI.

Does anybody know how to create a window (most precisely, get the window handle) from a Max external coded in C/C++ ?

Thanks by advance for your help

Benoit
Kiss-Box

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:08am

This is not supported, and it *will* change. You can send a message to a window object like this:

void *native_window_for_my_system = object_method(w, gensym("getsyswind");

In Max 5, on a Mac, this will return the carbon WindowRef. In Max 6, however, it will return an NSView*.

You’ll need to use maxversion() or similar to detect this and handle appropriately in your code.

best,
Tim

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:54am

Hello Tim,
thanks for the reply, it will allow me to start my work.
From what I see, you switch to Cocoa window handling in Max 6. Am I right ?
Benoit

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:31pm

Yes, with Max 6 we make the move from Carbon to Cocoa for the underlying OS support.

Cheers,
Tim

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:27pm

Thanks for these informations, Tim
Switching to Cocoa seems a logical step (and VSTGUI also switched to Cocoa, so I expect this to be transparent for me)
However, I still have two questions :

- does this message applies to already created windows by Max (meaning that I have to create the window using the Max API, then get the handle or windowref)? My first idea was to create the window myself, thus I needed the handle of Max main window (thus my window appears as a “child”)

- does this message work also on Windows system (getting then the window handle)?

Cheers

Benoit

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:14pm

Yes, it sounds like your understanding is correct. You should create a new jwind object and then you can query it to get the platform-native representation.

And also you are correct about the method returning an HWND on Windows.

Cheers,
Tim

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:09am

Thanks a lot for these informations, Tim
I hope you will be at Expo’74, I would be happy to meet you and discuss with you

Benoit

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:35pm

Hello Tim,
I just noticed that I forgot to keep you informed. Finally, I was able to create a GUI object from Max to host a VSTGUI based user interface, without needing Max to create the window. I made it work under Mac OS and Windows. Tested also under Max6…

Benoit

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:00pm

Great to hear! Thanks for the update!

Tim

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.