Forums > Jitter

access to text track in jit.qt.movie

October 26, 2006 | 1:00 am

[from back in 2002:]

my big thing is i would like to get the text out as
text(message).. but can’t figure out how..

This sort of access to the text track is not supported.

Javascript file access might be one way to get access
to this data, but you’ll need to know how the data is
formatted.

– Joshua

So is this still the case? Is there still no way to get access to the content of a quicktime text track — as text?

If there is (via javascript, as Joshua mentioned)… how would one go about getting access to it? Is there some undocumented message like gettrackcontents or gettrack[n].text?

If there still isn’t any way to do it, I would like to put in a formal request for it. It would just be incredibly useful to be able to annotate quicktime clips (there are simple tools for this like Macaw – http://www.whitanderson.com/macaw), and then to be able to use those annotations as a database to access different parts of the clip.

As far as knowing how the data is formatted, here’s the description from Apple’s QuickTime File Format document:

"The format of the text data is a 16-bit length word followed by the actual text. The length word specifies the number of bytes of text, not including the length word itself. Following the text, there may be one or more atoms containing additional information for drawing and searching the text."

http://developer.apple.com/reference/QuickTime/idxFileFormatSpecification-date.html

And as far as what the text actually looks like, there’s Apple’s QuickTime text tutorial

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/texttracks.html

- pH


October 26, 2006 | 6:09 am

This is still the case. It’s not just made it to the high-priority
list yet, but I’ll try to sneak it in at some point.

jb

Am 26.10.2006 um 03:00 schrieb Perry Hoberman:

> So is this still the case? Is there still no way to get access to
> the content of a quicktime text track — as text?


October 26, 2006 | 4:40 pm

If you could sneak in the ability to get marker information that
would be amazing as well. Ive got a few good ideas for using markers,
and would love to keep it all in the QT file.

Thanks!

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

On Oct 26, 2006, at 2:09 AM, Jeremy Bernstein wrote:

> This is still the case. It’s not just made it to the high-priority
> list yet, but I’ll try to sneak it in at some point.
>
> jb
>
> Am 26.10.2006 um 03:00 schrieb Perry Hoberman:
>
>> So is this still the case? Is there still no way to get access to
>> the content of a quicktime text track — as text?
>


December 6, 2006 | 3:35 pm

Quote: Jeremy Bernstein wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 08:09
—————————————————-
> This is still the case. It’s not just made it to the high-priority
> list yet, but I’ll try to sneak it in at some point.
>

At the risk of sounding impatient: is this still the case? A way to get text from a quicktime movie would be great. At the moment I save a directory together with my movie file that contains text files with all kinds of metadata.

Would it be a workaround to copy the text track of a movie to a new qt.movie, save it to disk and open that file with coll?

Mattijs


December 6, 2006 | 4:15 pm

This is still the case, but you’re just going to have to wait for it
to get implemented. For now, you could export the track as text and
use it in coll. Getting it back into jit.qt.movie would be a little
tricky – you’d have to use applescript or something to convert the
text file on disk to a QuickTime movie and then copy it to the
existing movie using the track editing commands. Doable, but
certainly not fun.

jb

Am 06.12.2006 um 16:35 schrieb Mattijs Kneppers:

>
> Quote: Jeremy Bernstein wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 08:09
> —————————————————-
>> This is still the case. It’s not just made it to the high-priority
>> list yet, but I’ll try to sneak it in at some point.
>>
>
> At the risk of sounding impatient: is this still the case? A way to
> get text from a quicktime movie would be great. At the moment I
> save a directory together with my movie file that contains text
> files with all kinds of metadata.
>
> Would it be a workaround to copy the text track of a movie to a new
> qt.movie, save it to disk and open that file with coll?
>
> Mattijs


December 6, 2006 | 4:41 pm

Quote: Jeremy Bernstein wrote on Wed, 06 December 2006 17:15
—————————————————-
> This is still the case, but you’re just going to have to wait for it
> to get implemented. For now, you could export the track as text and
> use it in coll. Getting it back into jit.qt.movie would be a little
> tricky – you’d have to use applescript or something to convert the
> text file on disk to a QuickTime movie and then copy it to the
> existing movie using the track editing commands. Doable, but
> certainly not fun.

Ok, that’s clear. To currently get a text file back into a movie shouldn’t have to be so much trouble though. I can simply copy a text file to a new track in qt.movie and it recognizes it as text track.

It’s still not very handsome of course.

Thanks,
Mattijs


December 6, 2006 | 4:43 pm

as long as we’re doing feature requests, it sure would be nice to get
access to quicktime midi tracks… ;)

On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Jeremy Bernstein wrote:

> This is still the case, but you’re just going to have to wait for
> it to get implemented. For now, you could export the track as text
> and use it in coll. Getting it back into jit.qt.movie would be a
> little tricky – you’d have to use applescript or something to
> convert the text file on disk to a QuickTime movie and then copy it
> to the existing movie using the track editing commands. Doable, but
> certainly not fun.
>
> jb
>
> Am 06.12.2006 um 16:35 schrieb Mattijs Kneppers:
>
>>
>> Quote: Jeremy Bernstein wrote on Thu, 26 October 2006 08:09
>> —————————————————-
>>> This is still the case. It’s not just made it to the high-priority
>>> list yet, but I’ll try to sneak it in at some point.
>>>
>>
>> At the risk of sounding impatient: is this still the case? A way
>> to get text from a quicktime movie would be great. At the moment I
>> save a directory together with my movie file that contains text
>> files with all kinds of metadata.
>>
>> Would it be a workaround to copy the text track of a movie to a
>> new qt.movie, save it to disk and open that file with coll?
>>
>> Mattijs
>


December 6, 2006 | 4:50 pm

Thank you for your patience and interest. They are all on "the list".
Yes, that other thing, too.

jb

Am 06.12.2006 um 17:43 schrieb joshua goldberg:

> as long as we’re doing feature requests, it sure would be nice to
> get access to quicktime midi tracks… ;)


December 6, 2006 | 9:42 pm

i love the list.

how about jit.baby.care? that would be *peachy*.

On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:50 AM, Jeremy Bernstein wrote:

> Thank you for your patience and interest. They are all on "the
> list". Yes, that other thing, too.
>
> jb
>
> Am 06.12.2006 um 17:43 schrieb joshua goldberg:
>
>> as long as we’re doing feature requests, it sure would be nice to
>> get access to quicktime midi tracks… ;)
>
>


December 6, 2006 | 10:15 pm

Quote: Jeremy Bernstein wrote on Wed, 06 December 2006 17:50
—————————————————-
> Thank you for your patience and interest. They are all on "the list".
> Yes, that other thing, too.
>
> jb

How much posts until one gets a classified email with the url of "the list"? ;)

No, honestly, I understand there’s not much future in people spamming you to change a priority. Good to know that you’re monitoring all feature requests so closely.

Mattijs


December 6, 2006 | 11:32 pm

Hello all,

I think it might be possible also to create new video track, lossless, with
text stored as char matrix. This track should be disabled usually, but could
be ‘extracted’ by disabling normal video track and enabling one with the
text matrix, routing this matrix appropriately later in the patch, and
disabling it afterwards…

I once stored text data in quicktime movie, but accidentally I compressed it
with PhotoJPEG… It got out similar, but it was never the same text again,
Fregoli syndrome again…

hth,
nesa


December 9, 2006 | 12:18 am

seconded.

On Dec 6, 2006, at 6:32 PM, nesa wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I think it might be possible also to create new video track,
> lossless, with text stored as char matrix. This track should be
> disabled usually, but could be ‘extracted’ by disabling normal
> video track and enabling one with the text matrix, routing this
> matrix appropriately later in the patch, and disabling it
> afterwards…
>
> I once stored text data in quicktime movie, but accidentally I
> compressed it with PhotoJPEG… It got out similar, but it was
> never the same text again, Fregoli syndrome again…
>
> hth,
> nesa
>
>


Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)