Forums > MaxMSP

Accessing presets of dls synth using vst~ ?

October 30, 2011 | 5:22 pm

Hello

i’m having trouble accessing/changing presets of the AU DLS Synth. It works fine using the "pgmout" expression (together with "noteout"), but using vst~, it won’t change when sending messages. I also can’t access a preset list. Can anyone help?

thanks,

steve

October 30, 2011 | 9:31 pm

The [vst~] object is for VSTs. The AU DLS synth is not a VST

October 30, 2011 | 9:32 pm

I think somebody wrote an [AU~] object but you’ll have to search for it. I don’t remember where I saw it

October 30, 2011 | 10:02 pm

Hasn’t this been changed in Max 6? from the vst~ helpfile: "Host VST or Audio Unit plug-ins"

The external you mean was audiounit~ I’m trying to stay with the native Max 6 objects or the time being, still being quite new to max :-/

October 31, 2011 | 12:49 am

I can confirm that [vst~] in Max6 works also for AU plugins.

Note however that [vst~] requires midi messages in special format, as described in the help/reference.
You may also search the forum for helpful discussions and examples.

October 31, 2011 | 5:10 am

I did not know that. I wanted to buy a plugin last week but it was only available in AU format so I couldn’t. I’ll have to look at it again. Is it pretty solid?

October 31, 2011 | 10:08 am

In my experience [vst~] works well with AU, in particular also for parameter values other than 0..1.
But I’ve noticed that parameter changes are not reflected immediately in the open interface window.
You have to close and reopen it to see the changes.

October 31, 2011 | 2:42 pm

Hmm, not sure I’m happy about the use of parameter values other than 0. .. 1.

It’s very convenient to have some abstractions that have internal scaling from MIDI ranges to VST ranges — not sure what happens if one can have arbitrary parameter ranges.

Regarding the special format needed for communicating with [vst~], I created some useful helper objects to abstract that stuff away.

Some examples that I have found to be useful.

Examples of VSTParam and MIDI processing

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

The VSTParam abstractiom

The dhj.vst.midi.notes abstraction

The dhj.vst.midi.CC abstraction

November 2, 2011 | 10:54 am

It’s very convenient to have some abstractions that have internal scaling from MIDI ranges to VST ranges — not sure what happens if one can have arbitrary parameter ranges.

In fact, there is a problem. For scaling you’d need to know the actual range of each parameter.
But as far as I can see, this information is currently not available (bug?).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)