Forums > MaxMSP

Activating / desactivating specific columns,rows in matrix ctrl.

August 6, 2008 | 12:52 pm

Hi friends , !

Real simple one here !!

how can I mute/unmute specific columns/rows on the matrix ctrl ?

the message "active" , seems to globally affect the whole matrix !

I am going back to my computer to try and work it out for my self , as this seems like something that fairly simple to do !

but it’s so bloody hot here today , my brain is on slow mode !

thanks for your insight !!!!!!!

August 6, 2008 | 5:26 pm

There’s no built-in message to do this, but you can achieve this function pretty quickly with an uzi object and message arguments.

Like this(or let me know if you’re on 4.6 and I can send you a patch in that format, instead):

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 7, 2008 | 7:05 am

You want to lock a specific row or column and have it stop responding to mouse clicks? The maxtrixctrl object does not support that.

I thought there might be a way to simulate this. I tried scripting invisible ubuttons and putting them over top the matrixctrl columns to block mouse clicks. It sort of works: if you click an inactivate column it won’t do anything. But if you click on an active column and drag the mouse over to a inactive one, you can still change the state. So I think this approach is a dead-end, but I’ll post the patch anyway since it might be of interest. Try clicking some of the toggles and then click the matrix column above the toggle.

One solution is to make a jsui version of matrixctrl and build this functionality yourself. The "JavaScript Tutorial 4: Designing User Interfaces in JavaScript" has a basic jsui matrixctrl that could get you started. But this could turn into a big project since that jsui matrix is missing a bunch of features from the normal matrixctrl you might want. So maybe you can simplify your idea? If you could get away with activating/deactivating only rows or only columns, then split the matrixctrl into one matrix per row (or column) and use the normal "active" message.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 7, 2008 | 8:29 am

"You want to lock a specific row or column and have it stop responding to mouse clicks? The maxtrixctrl object does not support that."

Ah, I C now. My bad: I completely misunderstood your question.

August 7, 2008 | 12:03 pm

Hi guys , and thanks for your insight !

and thanks for the patches , though it did not exactly ansewer my question , your patches did broaden my horizons ! ,so big big thanks for that !!! very much appreciated !

I will be honest in saying that scripting , I have only skimmed the surface , and this will be my next step in my max journey.

Just using multiple matrix ctrl objects , will of course work . My question on muting/unmuting specific rows/columns was simply to be more cpu efficient .

I think this would a nice feature in a future.

August 8, 2008 | 9:57 am

raja schrieb:
> "You want to lock a specific row or column and have it stop
> responding to mouse clicks? The maxtrixctrl object does not support
> that."

But you could fake it, just take the output and immediately reset the
row/column to its previous state, you just need to store the contents
somewhere, f.e. in a coll…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)