Forums > Max For Live

Adding Frequencies

February 7, 2013 | 2:34 pm

So I’m creating a basic (but interesting) drone machine that uses 6 oscillators (separated into 2 banks of three). Each one can be tuned separately, but I want to be able to make a master transpose dial and also a transpose dial for each bank.
I’m using live.sliders for the frequency of each oscillator, and so I used a + with the transpose dial in the right inlet to be able to add the frequencies together. But nothing happens. Am I missing something totally obvious?

February 7, 2013 | 3:44 pm

Could you please post your patch?
btw, reading to your description, I guess the problem is in the [+] connection, who will output values only when it receives messages in the left inlet.
Having a look at your patch would be mor helpful, though.

February 7, 2013 | 4:41 pm

I will upload my patch when I have the chance later.
There IS a message going into the left inlet as well–sorry I didn’t mention that. The Left inlet is the adjustable frequency for the oscillator while the right inlet would be the added (or subtracted) transposition.

Thanks for the reply!

February 7, 2013 | 11:01 pm

The right inlet of [+] is not a trigger, you need to bang the left inlet to do the calculation

February 8, 2013 | 12:15 am

Thanks Ploki. So I need to send a bang, maybe with a button, to the left trigger when I want the addition to take place?

February 8, 2013 | 12:21 am

Yes.

Trigger might be in place, because you can sort the message order. The rightmost outlet outputs first, so if you put a [t b f] or [t b i] (trigger bang float/integer) object before the addition, and connect the 1st (bang) outlet to the left inlet of [+] and 2nd (integer/float) outlet to the right inlet of [+] it should set the addition and bang immediately after.

like so:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

February 8, 2013 | 12:23 am

Sounds good. Thanks a lot amigo. This should help.

Yep! It worked. Thank you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)