Forums > MaxMSP

adding function fora buffer?

December 22, 2009 | 6:07 pm

Hi maxers,

I would like any recommendation on how I could add multiple soundfile into a single buffer. I would like to index all the soundfiles by names, or dates, or sizes, or random etc. Any suggestion on how to do that? OR is there a buffer like object that have the "add" option?

best regards from cold montreal

Louis

December 22, 2009 | 9:05 pm

you could use [sfinfo~] (or however it was called) to know the filelength
of the first file, then you also know where to insert the second one.

December 22, 2009 | 10:37 pm

hmmm, I think i did not express myself clearly.

How can we add more than one soundfile into a buffer?

Louis

December 22, 2009 | 10:54 pm

Why do you want/need to do this? I would recommend just using multiple [buffer~]s rather than adding all the files into the same one.

lh

December 23, 2009 | 8:36 am

One way to add soundfiles into one single buffer is to play all files simultaneously and record the result into a buffer.

If you want to do overdubs, it is also possible using poke~.

Another way is to load all soundfiles into sepearate buffers, and then use mxj~ buf.Op‘s merge method.

p

December 23, 2009 | 4:40 pm

Thank you all, and Luke, the reason for it is that I have a granular synthesis patch and I want to jump from different kind of material (random grain position). So eventually I could dump in a folder with lots of sample all into one buffer and then just randomly create some very eclectics composite sounds. The way I achieve that for now is by doing all the editing first in peak and it takes time… I’ll check into the java options.

many thanks

Louis

NB, i could also re-patch my granulator so that each grain plays from a different buffer, but i’m not sure if I would like the result of that…hmmm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)