Adding stuff "dynamically" into the signal chain

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:39pm

Adding stuff "dynamically" into the signal chain

Hi,

I’m afraid I know the answer already, but just to be sure…

Is it possible to delete and connect MSP objects dynamically without it interrupting any audio already in the signal chain? With that I mean MSP objects that are already connected to the dac~ and making sound.

The problem is that I’m building a kind of audio driven polyrithmic pattern sequencer and the idea was to have the option to add and delete patterns dynamically. When you do this you obviously break the signal chain.

One solution is ofcourse to just forget about this and have a predefined number of them, but the whole idea of adding and deleting patterns on the fly is in fact the strongest point of this whole concept to me.

Another solution is to do all of the signal processing in Supercollider and only do the interface stuff in Max, but I would prefer to do it all in one environment if possible, so I can make a standalone app for instance…

Any comments would be more than welcome, thanks.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:53pm

Hi,

in Max5, you can use poly~ to do this …

in Max4, you have to use vst plugins …

All the best

Alessandro Fogar

http://www.fogar.it

2008/8/7 Michael Dzjaparidze :
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m afraid I know the answer already, but just to be sure…
>
> Is it possible to delete and connect MSP objects dynamically without it interrupting any audio already in the signal chain? With that I mean MSP objects that are already connected to the dac~ and making sound.
>
> The problem is that I’m building a kind of audio driven polyrithmic pattern sequencer and the idea was to have the option to add and delete patterns dynamically. When you do this you obviously break the signal chain.
>
> One solution is ofcourse to just forget about this and have a predefined number of them, but the whole idea of adding and deleting patterns on the fly is in fact the strongest point of this whole concept to me.
>
> Another solution is to do all of the signal processing in Supercollider and only do the interface stuff in Max, but I would prefer to do it all in one environment if possible, so I can make a standalone app for instance…
>
> Any comments would be more than welcome, thanks.
>

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:58am

Alessandro Fogar schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> in Max5, you can use poly~ to do this …
>
> in Max4, you have to use vst plugins …

For this specific problem poly~ would be as well the way to go in Max 4…
It just has to be the same patch which deals with various patterns…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:05pm

Quote: Stefan Tiedje wrote on Fri, 08 August 2008 11:58
—————————————————-
> For this specific problem poly~ would be as well the way to go in Max 4…
> It just has to be the same patch which deals with various patterns…
>
> Stefan
>
> —
> Stefan Tiedje————x——-
> –_____———–|————–
> –(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
> — _|_)—-|—–()————–
> ———-()——–www.ccmix.com
>
>
—————————————————-

Yes, poly~ seems to be the best solution indeed. I was working on a Javascript that automaticly generates bpatchers which represents a new pattern, including all signal processing.

If i change this to a poly~ implementation of a pattern it should work fine. I still can generate the layout the way I did before with the script, but leave all the signal processing stuff up to the poly~.

Thanks for the tips!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.