Forums > MaxMSP

Advice on Mood Selector (probabilities, combinations, polybuffers)

August 24, 2012 | 9:07 pm

Hi all,

I’m trying to build a two dimensional mood selector, but I don’t know which is the best way to approach it. I am building a system that produces sequences by concatenating sounds from 6 different polybuffers. Now I have to make a slider or dial where the user can decide the degree of the mood of the sequence: For example, the user can choose between very excited, happy, very angry, upset, bored, or sad. Depending on this, the sequence will have more samples of the happy buffer, or the bored buffer, etc. So, in other words, as the user chooses the degree of the mood, depending on the position of the slider, the probabilities of using certain buffers increase or decrease. Also, the user must be able to choose the degree of energy (from quiet to aroused) which alters some parameters such as volume, etc. I know I can have itables with weighted probabilities, but how do I control them with just two sliders? What method should I use instead of using many tables with all possible combinations?

Any advice or ideas would be really appreciated :)

NB

http://www.acrwebsite.org/volumes/v23/23064f01.gif

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)