Forums > MaxMSP

Advice/Opinions for New User

December 29, 2012 | 12:00 am

Hello. I am delighted to be apart of this community. I’ve been lurking for a while before I decided to post tonight. I just want to discuss with experienced users of Max, two points existing in my mind at present:

1) Max/Msp for my benefit.

I’m primarily interested in sound, but slowly moving into video also. My work can be described as minimalism (electronic tones, field recordings, just intonation tuning). I want to be able to be able to take external sources of audio and process them in Max. Although I am not too interested in building devices for hardware purposes, I am interested in creating patches to process audio i.e. little delay devices, generative patches etc… I want to be able to use Max for composition, also, as well as designing sound and building sound devices.

I am wondering is the software catered for my interests? I am aware of software like Reaktor, Pure Data, Supercollider , but I like the possibilities, the interface, the resources and the existing community within Max. I would just like to hear a second opinion.

2) Learning Max

I am well aware of the learning curve associated with the software, and I am prepared to give it the time it needs. I am just just wondering where to start with my education? I take it the tutorials is the first port of call? I was also considering Peter Elsea’s tutorials for afterwords. There are books I want to order; Electronic Music Sound Design, V.J. Manzo’s book, Todd Winkler’s book, Designing Sound.

I was wondering does anyone have opinions regarding learning, any advice for new users, any tips on using the tutorials, just general advice for a fresh face :) ?

I really appreciate anyone words of advice.

Alan.

December 29, 2012 | 1:26 pm

Hi
The audio processes you describe are what max is really good at doing quickly – if you are familiar with Reaktor and PD, then the only challenge remaining is MaxMSP’s unique language (names, functions and relationships of objects). In this regard, the object helpfiles are a great resource, including the See Also link. Playing with the tutorial patchers is good too – break them, fix them but NEVER save them. Peter Bachelor’s extensive toots on youtube look good too.

Brendan.

dtr
December 29, 2012 | 1:57 pm

Christopher Dobrian’s examples are great as well: http://music.arts.uci.edu/dobrian/Music215S12/examples.htm

First the included Max tutorials, then these user’s tutorials should get you up and running in no time.

December 29, 2012 | 2:55 pm

Thank you for both your inputs. I’ll add dobrians tutorials to my bookmark folder.

If you have any others, don’t be afraid to pass them on.

I was always of the mind that max was something that I would never really implement. I think it was due to the learning curve (and my lack of intelligence),but as I’ve read more and more, the software has become more and more appealing. It’s funny how mindsets can change.

December 29, 2012 | 3:24 pm

I’m going to say it:

Best first post ever.

Enjoy using Max :-)

December 29, 2012 | 3:25 pm

And as a learning tool itself, Max is also valuable. And don’t rag on your intelligence. I don’t speak Mandarin Chinese, but I’m not unintelligent.

December 29, 2012 | 3:31 pm

@medd
Yeah it certainly beats the generic "here is my assignment, build me a patch" first posts :)

December 29, 2012 | 5:32 pm

Thanks for the support regarding my first post. First posts are always tricky; you don’t want to clog up the forum with another advice post, but yet you want to gain a bit of information from experienced users.

@noob

What is your primary uses for max, if you don’t mind me asking?

December 29, 2012 | 6:14 pm

Hi and thanks for asking

Mainly audio processing and synthesis: loopy granulationy FM-y noises. Then there’s my Arduino-Max stuff which is data processing: filtering scaling storing etc. Nothing paradigm-altering, but it keeps me out of the pub!

Brendan

Edit: check out the Projects page of this site to see the multitude of ways Max can be used, by n00bs and pros alike.

January 8, 2013 | 11:46 pm

I’m fairly new to this. I found this kindle book to be useful although it’s geared more for teachers it goes all the way into Jitter. Max/Msp/Jitter for Music. Look it up on Amazon.com.

I’m reading the MSP tutorials also which I found to be useful, but sometimes difficult to follow. I’m mainly into MIDI controllers and VST.

January 11, 2013 | 11:23 pm

@noob

Thanks for this little tip. I received my code on Tuesday evening, so I’m looking forward to beginning the tutorials. As I said previously, my primary aims for the software is to use it for sound design, processing, and composition. I see you are up north, i’m down south in the capital. If you are ever in the capital…….:)

@harmono

Thanks for the reference tip, i’m aware of the book, i’m looking forward to reading it along with Electronic Sound Design.

January 11, 2013 | 11:47 pm

Hi harmono

I’m in (or at least near) Dublin fairly regularly – my wife’s parents live near Greystones, next time I’m down, I’ll bring my laptop and PM you if ya like.

Brendan

January 12, 2013 | 5:05 am

You might be interested in checking out tutorials I created for my beginning Max classes. I just completed a major upgrade to my Ma(r)xTutorials and also completed a Max6 update to my "venerable" E-A_MusicPrimer.

http://cycling74.com/project/e-a_musicprimer5/

http://www.ohio.edu/people/phillipm/#MaxMSPresources

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)