Forums > MaxMSP

AirTunes and Max/MSP

February 4, 2009 | 9:59 am

Has anyone used AirTunes, where you can stream audio through iTunes to
an Airport Express router connected to speakers? If so, has anyone
hacked it to play audio from Max/MSP? I found a program "Airfoil"
that allows you to do that, but it’s $25 and I was thinking one of you
may have tried this out already. That’s why we got Max/MSP, right, so
that we never have to buy another program?

Andrew


February 4, 2009 | 12:34 pm

If I remember correctly, an encrypted audio stream has to go to the Airport
Express – somehow the folks at rogue amoeba either got permission from Apple
(don’t think so), reverse engineered the encryption key, or found the key
posted online or something… This is all pure speculation.

Dan

On 2/4/09 4:59 AM, "Andrew C. Smith" wrote:

> Has anyone used AirTunes, where you can stream audio through iTunes to
> an Airport Express router connected to speakers? If so, has anyone
> hacked it to play audio from Max/MSP? I found a program "Airfoil"
> that allows you to do that, but it’s $25 and I was thinking one of you
> may have tried this out already. That’s why we got Max/MSP, right, so
> that we never have to buy another program?
>
> Andrew


Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
http://defectiverecords.com

http://jackosx.com


February 4, 2009 | 10:49 pm

follow the saga further here:

http://nanocr.eu/2008/03/15/rogue-developers/


February 5, 2009 | 6:05 am

Thanks, so now my only question is the statement, "Update: JustePort
is not Windows-only. Thanks to mono it runs under GNU/Linux, MacOS X
and Windows." on http://nanocr.eu/2004/08/11/reversing-airtunes/

Do I have to download Mono and build it from the source code? I am
not at all a developer, and I’m not really sure how this stuff works.
It looks like something that would make a great external–has anyone
used it, and if so, what does the "send to IP address" thing mean?

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
> follow the saga further here:
>
> http://nanocr.eu/2008/03/15/rogue-developers/
>


February 5, 2009 | 6:20 am

Sorry everyone, I ended up getting it to work after looking more at
the online mono documentation. Turns out that JustePort is useful for
sending OGG Vorbis and Apple’s .m4a files, but that’s really nothing
you can’t do with iTunes. Well, if anyone figures out a way to get
this to stream audio from a source like Soundflower or JackOSX then it
would be incredible, but I’m not really holding my breath. Thanks for
the support.

Andrew

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Andrew Smith wrote:
> Thanks, so now my only question is the statement, "Update: JustePort
> is not Windows-only. Thanks to mono it runs under GNU/Linux, MacOS X
> and Windows." on http://nanocr.eu/2004/08/11/reversing-airtunes/
>
> Do I have to download Mono and build it from the source code? I am
> not at all a developer, and I’m not really sure how this stuff works.
> It looks like something that would make a great external–has anyone
> used it, and if so, what does the "send to IP address" thing mean?
>
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>
>> follow the saga further here:
>>
>> http://nanocr.eu/2008/03/15/rogue-developers/
>>
>


February 5, 2009 | 6:28 am

I’ve read in the iTunes SDK and some list discussions that there is an
undocumented way to stream any iTunes developed app live using the
movie controller in it….has anyone created an iTunes .app that can
take Max/MSP (and in the future Max for Live) output and stream it to
generate some OpenGL output on the iPhone?

I never seem to get a response on this list, forgive my ignorance, I’m
trying to find my place, I come from a traditional C++ development
background and now Objective-C, so the most important questions for
visual Max/Msp apps I’m leaving for last until I figure out the bottom
up capabilities.

On Feb 5, 2009, at 1:20 AM, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Sorry everyone, I ended up getting it to work after looking more at
> the online mono documentation. Turns out that JustePort is useful for
> sending OGG Vorbis and Apple’s .m4a files, but that’s really nothing
> you can’t do with iTunes. Well, if anyone figures out a way to get
> this to stream audio from a source like Soundflower or JackOSX then it
> would be incredible, but I’m not really holding my breath. Thanks for
> the support.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Andrew Smith
> wrote:
>> Thanks, so now my only question is the statement, "Update: JustePort
>> is not Windows-only. Thanks to mono it runs under GNU/Linux, MacOS X
>> and Windows." on http://nanocr.eu/2004/08/11/reversing-airtunes/
>>
>> Do I have to download Mono and build it from the source code? I am
>> not at all a developer, and I’m not really sure how this stuff works.
>> It looks like something that would make a great external–has anyone
>> used it, and if so, what does the "send to IP address" thing mean?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Tim Sutton
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> follow the saga further here:
>>>
>>> http://nanocr.eu/2008/03/15/rogue-developers/
>>>
>>


February 5, 2009 | 2:43 pm

Back when the Airport Express came out, we thought a lot about doing this on
the Jack OS X team, but we had (still have) extremely limited developer
resources to do it, and furthermore we were nervous at the time that Apple
might come after us. I suppose now seeing as how they have not gone after
Rogue Amoeba, we could reconsider it.

If anyone is interested and has C/C++ development background, we would love
to have you work on it with us…

Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
http://defectiverecords.com

http://jackosx.com

On 2/5/09 1:20 AM, "Andrew Smith" wrote:

> Sorry everyone, I ended up getting it to work after looking more at
> the online mono documentation. Turns out that JustePort is useful for
> sending OGG Vorbis and Apple’s .m4a files, but that’s really nothing
> you can’t do with iTunes. Well, if anyone figures out a way to get
> this to stream audio from a source like Soundflower or JackOSX then it
> would be incredible, but I’m not really holding my breath. Thanks for
> the support.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Andrew Smith wrote:
>> Thanks, so now my only question is the statement, "Update: JustePort
>> is not Windows-only. Thanks to mono it runs under GNU/Linux, MacOS X
>> and Windows." on http://nanocr.eu/2004/08/11/reversing-airtunes/
>>
>> Do I have to download Mono and build it from the source code? I am
>> not at all a developer, and I’m not really sure how this stuff works.
>> It looks like something that would make a great external–has anyone
>> used it, and if so, what does the "send to IP address" thing mean?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>>
>>> follow the saga further here:
>>>
>>> http://nanocr.eu/2008/03/15/rogue-developers/


August 6, 2010 | 11:02 am

I have Airfoil, it doesn't cost that much. In the airfoil window, I choos MAX5 as the application to which the audio stream refers. It works. Both playing a sound file in groove~ and using a mic through my Konnekt24D. There is a delay though at about 2 seconds, which is of cause annoying in many (live) cases.

[attachment=138288,927]

Attachments:
  1. Billede_1.png

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)