Forums > Jitter

AJA digital video output

May 1, 2008 | 8:37 pm

Hi guys

I’m using a mac pro with a pci AJA. I’m grabbing camera signals trough the SDi input of the AJA and i would like to use the AJA as output as well to don’t loose quality an velocity.
I’m using it to process live video for a concert so it’s really important to have as less delay as possible (lip sync for example)

How can i tell max to send the video to the aja ?
I’m using jit.window as a way of outputting the signal (i drag it in the screen i want and then i go full screen) but i don’t know how i can send the signal to the output of the aja

Thank guys if you can came up with any sudgestions.

Carlo

May 4, 2008 | 6:09 pm

A few issues here.

1) the AJA cards do not have accelerated graphics. For anything BUT regular CPU (jit.matrix) based image processing this is going to be SLOW, even for window drawing and display updates.

2) THE SDI signal output is uncompressed 4:2:2 YUV standard def, so, unless you are driving your display via analog SD like composite or S-VIDEO, vga or SVI will, technically, be higher quality uncompressed 4:4:4 signals. You *may* be loosing quality, and you will most likely be loosing resolution.

3) If you REALLY want to do that, you need to make sure in the AJA control panel that you have ‘Monitor/Desktop’ enabled in the control section. If you are using the latest 5.1ND drivers this is disabled, and you have to download 5.1 vanilla, but the ND (no desktop) drivers fixes some issues that people were reporting with desktop video out.

Once you have that enabled, you should be good to go, as it treats the AJAs output like another monitor.

Good luck.

May 4, 2008 | 6:17 pm

A few issues here.

1) the AJA cards do not have accelerated graphics. For anything BUT regular CPU (jit.matrix) based image processing this is going to be SLOW, even for window drawing and display updates.

2) THE SDI signal output is uncompressed 4:2:2 YUV standard def, so, unless you are driving your display via analog SD like composite or S-VIDEO, vga or SVI will, technically, be higher quality uncompressed 4:4:4 RGB signals. You *may* be loosing quality, and you will most likely be loosing resolution by doing with SD-SDI. If you want to use HD-SDI, this will be even slower, as your CPu will have more work to do to make up for the lack of a OpenGL accelerated graphics context, and the quality caveats mentioned above apply to HD-SDI as well. Id imagine the only benefit of doing this is to have a genlocked video output.

3) If you REALLY want to do use SDI out, you need to make sure in the AJA control panel that you have ‘Monitor/Desktop’ enabled in the control section. If you are using the latest 5.1ND drivers this is disabled, and you have to download 5.1 vanilla, but the ND (no desktop) drivers fixes some issues that people were reporting by disabled desktop video out.

Once you have that enabled, you should be good to go, as it treats the AJAs output like another monitor.

Also, it sounds like you want to use the AJA for both INPUT and OUTPUT at the same time. I do not think that is possible, as the card switches state, although, frankly, Ive never tried having both active at once, as I don’t use the video output of the cards

Good luck.

FORUM ADMIN NOTICE – MY MONTHLY I HATE THE FORUM RANT ENSUES BELOW. FEEL FREE TO IGNORE IT.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY HATE THE FORUM.

THE FACT THAT
1)
THE RSS FEED DOES NOT SHOW THE NAME OF THE PERSON WHO REPLIED TO A THREAD (at least not in Apple Mail nor in Net News Wire)

2) THAT I CANNOT ACTUALLY USE THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE FORUM BETTER, LIKE EDITING A MESSAGE AFTER I CREATED IT (I GET AN ERROR FROM THE FORUM SOFTWARE – thus my ranting reply rather than a simple edit)

3) THE FACT THAT IF I WANT TO BE INCLUSIVE I HAVE TO POST FROM THE FORUM SHOULD I WANT TO INCLUDE AN ATTACHMENT, BECAUSE THE MAIL -> FORUM BRIDGE DONT WORK.

)(!*@)#(*!@#

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Really, im trying to use RSS and not the email subscription system, I EVEN UNSUBSCRIBED. It still sucks !@#

May 4, 2008 | 7:43 pm

yeah, i tried the rss feed for a second, and quickly gave up because of all the problems you mentioned, plus threading didn’t work.

i guess it’s useful as a way accessing all the forum traffic offline, but it seems the mail list is better at that.

just use the forum. seriously. come to the dark side.

> FORUM ADMIN NOTICE – MY MONTHLY I HATE THE FORUM RANT ENSUES BELOW. FEEL FREE TO IGNORE IT.
>
> I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY HATE THE FORUM.
>
> THE FACT THAT
> 1)
> THE RSS FEED DOES NOT SHOW THE NAME OF THE PERSON WHO REPLIED TO A THREAD (at least not in Apple Mail nor in Net News Wire)
>
> 2) THAT I CANNOT ACTUALLY USE THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE FORUM BETTER, LIKE EDITING A MESSAGE AFTER I CREATED IT (I GET AN ERROR FROM THE FORUM SOFTWARE – thus my ranting reply rather than a simple edit)
>
> 3) THE FACT THAT IF I WANT TO BE INCLUSIVE I HAVE TO POST FROM THE FORUM SHOULD I WANT TO INCLUDE AN ATTACHMENT, BECAUSE THE MAIL -> FORUM BRIDGE DONT WORK.
>
> )(!*@)#(*!@#
>
> Sorry, had to get that out of my system.
>
> Really, im trying to use RSS and not the email subscription system, I EVEN UNSUBSCRIBED. It still sucks !@#
>
>
—————————————————-

PKM
May 4, 2008 | 11:49 pm

what if the post had a direct link to the actual forum topic? is this
a trivial procedure for the mailman? and would it help mail users to
find their way to the forum should they need to post an attachment?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)