Algorithmic query…

May 12, 2006 at 2:42am

Algorithmic query…

I am attempting to create a system of behavior for a group of faders. Precisely, ‘subordinate’ faders (controlled algorithmically), slaved to a ‘master’ fader (controlled manually).

I would like subordinate faders to vary in their individual response speed to the master fader.

I would also like the subordinate faders to return to their original position (again with varied speed), as soon as the master fader stops moving.

Finally, I would like the response speed of individual faders to evolve organically…

I am currently formulating a strategy for building this patch and any tips would be most welcome! I am a new user, but I want to get stuck in straight at the deep end, so please fire away!

Thanks!

May 12, 2006 at 9:43am

Wow. A quick recommendation would be to pick up some java right away. It sounds like you’re going to be doing a lot of logcial stuff, and java/mxj is much simpler for implementing that sort of code than conventional Max (graphical paradigm, right-to-left ordering, and so on, being a little cumbersome for this stuff).

That said, I’d look into Elsea’s Lobjects. They’re externals for list operations, which will probably come in very handy (you did say “faderS”, plural, so you’ll probably be working with lists a lot). He also has, on his site (I believe), a great tutorial on fuzzy logic, implemented using his Lobjects, which is really interesting, and might help with this kind of work.

J.

May 12, 2006 at 2:23pm

look at pmpd library for MaxMSP ported by Ali Momenti: you could play with physical models to do strange kind of controls, it’s a funny and very interesting way!

May 12, 2006 at 4:38pm

Thanks!

May 12, 2006 at 11:39pm

hello

where i can find this library you’re talkin about?

thnx tom

May 13, 2006 at 1:19am

pmpd for Max/MSP: Physical Modelling for Pure Data for Max/MSP

http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/%7Eali/share/max/pmpd/

regards,
Brian

May 13, 2006 at 7:38pm

I get inspiration from the patch “mc.PMPD-jitter-example-1.pat” written
by Mathieu Chamagne to demonstrate Ali Momeni’s port of PMPD to wMax.
That can be found here:

http://mathieu.chamagne.free.fr/max/

I’m hell-bent on hearing the rhythms that might be generated as those
balls lose energy near the floor :)

–raf.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.