Forums > Max For Live

All patches in M4L 5.1.1 update broken?

December 19, 2009 | 4:42 pm

I’ve updated to Dec M4L via this site, and notice that _all_ the M4L patches are now gone, almost, with the exception of a very few. They all show up as broken in Ableton Live.

What gives?

December 19, 2009 | 4:42 pm

Note: tried Repairing Library, made no difference. Looked at where installation is pointed to in Ableton 8.1, it’s in the right place.

December 19, 2009 | 4:50 pm

Ok further info: .adv files seem to be no longer recognized?

December 19, 2009 | 4:58 pm

Ok further info: the .adv files are all still there in Ableton’s folders, but the newest M4L will only work with files with the .amxd extension. None of the "presets" and none of the tutorial content, including the .als file that attempts to load when you’re trying to tour M4L within Ableton, work.

It sounds like there’s an Ableton 8.1.1 update in the works, but really, you guys need to coordinate better. Merry Christmas back to you as well, sigh….. I will avoid any updates if/when everything’s resolved for a long time to come, now.

This is my first day of vacation and I was really looking forward to digging in, guess I’ll go for a walk instead, bye.

December 19, 2009 | 5:23 pm

Ok last post for now: looks like the 41439 variant of Max for Live is designed for Ableton 8.1.1…. which isn’t released yet. A telltale hint is that if you try to go through the "getting started" Help in Ableton 8.1, and try to load the Buffer Shuffler factory content .als, you’ll get an error message that tells you that the file can’t be opened, because it was created with a newer version of Live (I have the newest released version currently installed).

So, I recommend, unless anyone else has better info, that you hold off downloading this update until you can download 8.1.1 from Ableton, assuming my theory is correct.

Just guessing in the frustrated dark here, though, sorry.

December 19, 2009 | 5:37 pm

I have the same problem. I just upgraded to Jitter and had to download max/msp with Jitter. After that Max for Live didnt work so I downloaded the latest version (41439) and now none of the presets work (they all show up as broken in Ableton).
Makes me very unhappy.
:-(

sunny

December 19, 2009 | 6:20 pm

sunny,

It is possible to download the beta 8.1.1 (currently into Beta4) from the Ableton.com forums, but then you’re using a beta version with a 30-day expire on it until 8.1.1 comes out. It’s probably okay, and I’m not sure it resolves _this_ problem, but then again I’m very careful about not using beta software in this area, so I’m just going to hold off; Max and Ableton go onto the backburner until the problems are resolved and a working version of both (working together, 100%, or at least, in software terms, 98%) is out.

December 19, 2009 | 7:26 pm

Ah crap. Sorry. I can see the presets and Live sets in the content do not work with the 8.1 release.

FWIW, Max 5.1.1 is going to require some version of Live 8.1.1 in any case.

Here are the Max 5.1 release installer locations if you threw that file away.

http://cycling74.s3.amazonaws.com/download/Max5_41208.dmg

http://cycling74.s3.amazonaws.com/download/Max5_41208.zip

December 19, 2009 | 7:32 pm

Ok great! Thank you for the lightning-fast response. Will hang onto 41439 and eagerly await 8.1.1 now. :) Happy Holidays!

December 25, 2009 | 6:32 pm

Such a warm welcome, just purchased Max4Live and all i get is broken stuff and now im on an expiring beta-license…

I followed the install instructions step by step and what your left with is not the sort of thing you want to take on stage. Cycling and Ableton, please sort your shit out and start communicating. Ill be back to packing vinyl this christmas : (((

December 25, 2009 | 7:03 pm

Hi 154,

I had similar problems since Max 5.1.1.& Live 8.1.1b4 OS X . What worked for me was the following:
- go to Live Preferences=> Library=> LivePack.
- Choose the Max for Live Contend and click on deinstall.
-go to Max5.1.1
- go to Max5/support/LivePacks/MaxForLiveContent.alp
- drag the .alp-file over the LIve drop file area…, this will reinstall Max for Live …
This made it work for me. All presets etc. worked again…
Hope this helps…( insults don’t…) ;-)

December 25, 2009 | 7:28 pm

Dont mean to insult, but i dont like a welcome like this when expanding your license, specially when like me Ableton is essential for your work. Guess i expected something a bit more thought through…

The latest beta is a release-candidate and ive got a support-request with Ableton for this, i like to see where my "official license" will get me… Even though its christmas this is the time when support is most essential since its a peak-day for performers.

And yes, ill be playing with vinyl tonight because of this which is not what i would like nor what i was hired for to do.

December 26, 2009 | 6:18 pm

Well then the timing of your decision to do such a major software
change, was not thought through very well…

December 27, 2009 | 3:22 am

There’s always a gig in the next couple of days so a perfect moment doesnt exist. Thought through well enouhgh i reckon ; )

December 27, 2009 | 3:30 am

Besides that i dont really get your point. You dont think an installer should contain the right version? Thats ok because you wont be using it the next couple of days anyway? Mmmm…

December 27, 2009 | 4:57 am

From Wikipedia:

"Beta" is a nickname for software which has passed the alpha testing stage of development and has been released to users for software testing before its official release. It is the prototype of the software that is released to the public. Beta testing allows the software to undergo usability testing with users who provide feedback, so that any malfunctions these users find in the software can be reported to the developers and fixed. Beta software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss.

Don’t complain about Beta software not being able to be used in Production – stick with Ableton 8.1 and Max 5.1 until stable releases are out.

December 27, 2009 | 2:27 pm

Please read befor replying. I dont want to be on a beta-version. When you purchase(or demo) Max for Live at the moment the installer-flow installs Max 5.1.1. All presets and tutorials of that version only work with the Live beta’s b4 and b5. Thats also the official statement from Cycling and ableton, they dont point to the workaround posted before in this topic but say download the beta. No, im not happy about this situation, as a new customer and fresh Max for Live user the tutorials and presets are quite important for me and as someone who frequently performs on stage with Live its quite bad to get stuck with this beta-license due to an upgrade.

Dont complain about posts before reading them…

December 27, 2009 | 7:00 pm

Hi 154,

I feel your pain, though in a less immediate way as I’m more of a hobbyist user and didn’t have the commercial issues you ran into.

Yes, Cycling ’74 should have coordinated more carefully with Ableton, and held off their release of the newer Max version until Ableton 8.1.1 was thoroughly through its beta, final-tested and released on Ableton’s website. Clearly the two companies have to pay a little more attention as to how they integrate/release updates together, so this kind of situation doesn’t happen again. I think they’re already aware of this; I opened this thread simply to make them aware of it as quickly as possible, and right before the Christmas holiday/vacation time, too, sigh. Andrew here was very quick to pay attention and do what he could at this time to alert people as to the problem, and make the previous version of Max for Live available in the interim. I very much appreciate that. I can’t think of many companies that would be able to respond in any way, especially in the very exhausting and often-troublesome software development industry, around the one brief period of respite anyone in this business has. I’m amazed and glad someone jumped on this in spite of all that.

So yes, it was a problem; I’m sure Cycling ’74/Ableton have learned from it; I’ve gained confidence that Cycling ’74 will pay attention to its customers, as small a user base as we probably are, as a result of this cycle; and I’m going to remain extra-cautious about upgrading/buying/using new software until I’ve thoroughly researched it and am sure it’ll function well for what I want it to do, before I make the plunge. I’m already quite conservative about that, in an environment these days where everyone seems happy to do things, for example, like flash-upgrade their expensive new hardware the day after buying it even if it’s working perfectly, "just to have the new stuff," even if there’s risk of the whole process failing and causing weeks or even months of headaches
afterwards.

I think it’s a testament to how reliable, generally, software has become that people are comfortable with this; but we should remember that there _is_ risk with new software, always, usually for a year or two, even, after its introduction, and operate accordingly, even if we do end up getting lulled into a false sense of security by how well things mostly tend to work now.

This is why I’ll upgrade to Windows 7 sometime in 2014, for instance, on my Windows machine. :)

Regards,
Steve

December 27, 2009 | 7:40 pm

Good post, tnx Steve. I still think they should have taken down the 5.1.1 release or at least make the 5.1 version available in the main download-page when they found out about the problem, a warning is simply not sufficient. Holiday season is a time to try out various demos for a lot of people and the demo simply isnt demo-ing whit all tutorials and presets broken.

I agree they should critically look at the joint release-proces but maybe Cycling should also realize that with teaming up with Ableton it also means they are more and more supporting a software-package which is for a large part focused on performance instead of development. This asks for a different form of support with very different priorities imho.

I posted my complaints with similar motivation as yours i think, to create some sort of awareness. And i think my obvious feeling of dissapointment can also be interpreted as a compliment, im a big fan of Ableton and i am really looking forward to working with Max in a supported environment.

December 28, 2009 | 1:24 am

I have owned Live for a while – got M4L for Christmas for myself. Spent the last few days trying to figure out how to set this up. Immediately assuming that it was me not installing it correctly. I am going away for two weeks in January and was looking forward to getting to grips with the programme.

Beta testing is no longer available – so I am now going to try and get the aforementioned solution working so I can view the tutorials.

154 and realtrance I also feel your pain.

Ste

December 28, 2009 | 1:34 am

http://downloads.ableton.com/extra/58397247_beta/ableton_live_811b5.dmg

http://downloads.ableton.com/extra/58397247_beta/ableton_live_811b5.zip

Should work, hopefully this will get you some qualitytime even though its betatime : )

December 28, 2009 | 1:52 am

cheers 154 you are a gent

now to get my monome to really sing

thanks again for the super quick response

ste

December 30, 2009 | 2:05 am

8.1.1 released

December 30, 2009 | 6:33 am

So is it safe do update to Max 5.1.1 now?

December 31, 2009 | 2:39 pm

All’s well here with 8.1.1 and 5.1.1
Let’s hope its been a learning experience for everyone : )))

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)