Alternate Image Files for use with matrixctrl

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:39pm

Alternate Image Files for use with matrixctrl

Does anyone have any alternate image files–particularly for cells–for use with matrixctrl? I doubt I’m alone in preferring the look of the Max 4 version over the new one…

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:03pm

Here’s an image I made to use with a foot controller. The cell images look more like buttons than Synthi pegs. In fact, looking at it 7 years later, it looks very monome-like.
Enjoy.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:02pm

very nice, thanks a lot.
as an alternative- i do like the pegs-does anyone know if the max 4 defaults are anywhere to be found?

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:35pm

Here’s a simple one I made using grayscale. Not too tough to do in Photoshop, but you do have to be pretty precise. Also you should check out the Knobman app for this kind of thing, it’ll manage all the details (sizing etc.) for you. The resulting files can be used in your matrixctrl as long as you have the display settings right. Great app!

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:56pm

is there an equivalent to knobman for OSX?

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:12pm

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:17am

I’ve always imagined that it must be fairly trivial to build something with Jitter that would do the job of rotating and stitching graphics for matixctrl, but being very much the Jitter newb, I’ve never got much further than thinking about it.
Here are a few graphics and example patch that I posted during one of my many rants about the beauty of dial mode,
cheers
Roger

On 24/01/2009 22:56, “Aaron O” wrote:

>
> is there an equivalent to knobman for OSX?
> _______________________________________________

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:06pm

Quote: roger.carruthers wrote on Sun, 25 January 2009 05:17
—————————————————-
> I’ve always imagined that it must be fairly trivial to build something with Jitter that would do the job of rotating and stitching graphics for matixctrl, but being very much the Jitter newb, I’ve never got much further than thinking about it.

—————————————————-

Me too… Something like, if you wanted a series of different-colored boxes (or prettier, saturation levels of a certain hue):

counter with total # of states –> panel color (using swatch and HSB mode) –> sample panel updates on screen in the “snapshot position” –> jit.desktop grabs snapshot of that state –> send into appropriately-sized jit.matrix using dstdim to position it linearly –> export image file from jit.matrix.

Additional rows for the other matrixctrl modes could be added, though some fiddling with masks etc. would be needed. For a simple square it would be straightforward.

No doubt there are many other ways, but this would work. You could also use dials as picts if you wanted, where the counter would auto-set the value (and possibly change the color if you want) for each state before jit.desktop grabs it. Or you could make some *really* cool ones using GL or jsui—again, some main value sets the appearance of the state, snapshot–>store in long pic in the right place, repeat as desired.

The issue with making it, as with everything in Max, is… When Do I Stop Adding Cool Features??

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:07pm

Here’s a batch that I use with my rhythmic pattern maker patch. I am actually in the process of transitioning it to Max 5 now, with some hiccups. Hopefully afterward I will have a chance to share. In the meantime, enjoy the picts.

–Nathan

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:24pm

Hey what happened to the images that were posted here?

May 2, 2011 at 4:10pm

Anyone?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.