Forums > MaxMSP

[ANN] ajm objects 0.8.6

January 1, 2009 | 9:50 pm

I’ve released a new version of my ajm objects library: http://compusition.com/web/software/maxmsp/ajm-objects

Everything’s been updated for Max 5 (Max 4 no longer officially supported, sorry!). And there’s some new goodies for sequencing with the transport system. More info: http://compusition.com/web/news/2009/01/01

Feedback is always welcome. If you find any bugs, have feature suggestions, or whatever, then email me or post a reply here. I’m also interested in how other people are using the transport system.

Enjoy!

January 1, 2009 | 10:47 pm

Hi Adam,

Everything I could open looks very neat, but I could not open the ruby, rseq, seq and midi2coll from ajm overview as well as some of these help-files (the ones I tried). Those all frose MAXMSP and I had to force quit. Is there some extra installment necessary?

I am using MAXMSP 5.05 on a MACBook1,1 IntelCoreDuo 2,0 GHz., MACOSX 10.4.11

Best, Hans.

January 1, 2009 | 11:03 pm

Quote: h.j.leeuw@chello.nl wrote on Thu, 01 January 2009 14:47
—————————————————-
> Hi Adam,
>
> Everything I could open looks very neat, but I could not open the ruby, rseq, seq and midi2coll from ajm overview as well as some of these help-files (the ones I tried). Those all frose MAXMSP and I had to force quit. Is there some extra installment necessary?
>
> I am using MAXMSP 5.05 on a MACBook1,1 IntelCoreDuo 2,0 GHz., MACOSX 10.4.11
>
> Best, Hans.
>
—————————————————-

Hi Hans,
Did you check the install instructions in INSTALL.txt? There is a folder called lib. You need to copy everything inside that folder to the java/lib folder in you Max 5 installation, then restart Max.

The objects you are having problems with are java externals, so they won’t work until you do this. I don’t think it should freeze Max like that, but there’s nothing I can really do about it. I guess it’s a bug in Max. Maybe one day I will make an installer so people don’t need to worry about this.

Also note that those objects do take a little while to load the first time you open them because Max needs to initialize a bunch of Java stuff. After the first time it gets a lot faster. But it should be pretty snappy on a 2.0 Ghz machine, so you won’t confuse this with Max freezing. midi2coll’s help file is always pretty slow to open though, gonna look into that more later.

January 2, 2009 | 1:17 am

Hi Adam,

Sorry. I skipped over the first folder layer. I did not see the instructions in the ajm-folder itself. That’s why.

Everything opens fine now.

And this also looks very neat. I’ll dive into it later.

Best, Hans.

January 2, 2009 | 2:33 am

This is partly because I don’t entirely understand the interactions of
[poly~] and MIDI data, but if I were to feed ajm.makenote into
something like [sprintf midinote %i %i] –> [poly~ ... ] then would it
properly handle the noteoff messages? I probably won’t be using the
beat-scaling features in the ajm.metro help file, but I will be
working with MIDI data with the global transport. This might just be
the key to get me to dump Logic as a MIDI host for live applications.
So would one ajm.midi2coll connected to a single ajm.makenote object
do the trick?

Andrew

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Hans Leeuw wrote:
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> Sorry. I skipped over the first folder layer. I did not see the instructions in the ajm-folder itself. That’s why.
>
> Everything opens fine now.
>
> And this also looks very neat. I’ll dive into it later.
>
> Best, Hans.
>

January 2, 2009 | 4:22 am

Quote: ACSmith wrote on Thu, 01 January 2009 18:33
—————————————————-
> if I were to feed ajm.makenote into
> something like [sprintf midinote %i %i] –> [poly~ ... ] then would it
> properly handle the noteoff messages?

Yeah, that should work. ajm.makenote is like the built in makenote object, it sends a noteon and then after the specified duration sends a noteoff. So if whatever you connect it to understands noteons and noteoffs, it will do what you’d expect.

> I will be
> working with MIDI data with the global transport. This might just be
> the key to get me to dump Logic as a MIDI host for live applications.
> So would one ajm.midi2coll connected to a single ajm.makenote object
> do the trick?
>

You don’t connect those directly. The sequencing is handled with ajm.metro -> coll -> ajm.makenote. Then you can connect ajm.midi2coll -> coll if you want to import MIDI files. I’d just copy what’s in the ajm.midi2coll help file and go from there. To work with global transport, remove the @transport attributes used in the help file examples. Also, the @quantize settings for ajm.midi2coll are usually pretty important to get things working properly with "real world" MIDI files.

For live applications you probably want to take a look at the "interactive start" features in the ajm.metro help file. Unfortunately there are some problems with these features in Max 5.0.5 due to bugs with the transport system. I’ve reported all the issues I am aware of so hopefully they will be fixed in the next version of Max. I think the "startnow" feature works fine right now though, so you can probably get some mileage out of that.

For any serious project using these objects, I highly recommend you take a look at jasch’s solution to storing a coll in pattrstorage: http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=36621
This allows you to save and recall presets of MIDI clips. Very useful! Although I’m worried there’s a limit to the length of the coll data. I’ve only been testing with very short clips so far…

I’m working on a live performance app for interactively playing synchronized MIDI clips (somewhat inspired by Ableton Live). Maybe it’s similar to what you have in mind. Not sure how long it’s going to take, but maybe in the not-too-distant future I can put together some example patches on my website.

January 13, 2009 | 2:15 am

Thank you sooo much! ajm.ruby is truly an amazing tool to have.

DF
January 13, 2009 | 5:55 pm

loving the tools, thanks…
DF

January 13, 2009 | 7:47 pm

ajm objects are sweet!

slight tangent, i’m embarassed to ask after being on the forums for this long, but better late than never:

what does ‘ANN’ stand for?

January 13, 2009 | 8:06 pm

Quote: RabidRaja wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 11:47
—————————————————-
> slight tangent, i’m embarassed to ask after being on the forums for this long, but better late than never:
>
> what does ‘ANN’ stand for?
—————————————————-

Announcement (at least I think that’s right… I hope so since I used it, hehe)

January 13, 2009 | 8:38 pm

Ah, makes sense. Love your website compusition.com by the way, i hadn’t even heard of Numerology or Buzz ’til I browsed your site. Thanks again!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)