[ANN] Updated my GUI Algorithmic Sequencer

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:39am

[ANN] Updated my GUI Algorithmic Sequencer

Hey Folks,

i’ve just finished to write (again, coded in C now) my Algorithmic Sequencer [tralala] : new pianoRoll GUI external available in my toolbox pages ;-)

Currently mac only ; planned to compile it for Windows ; it is still a prototype, so thanks for feedback, bugs ; questions ? …

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:39am

magic :)
where can I test it?

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:11pm

Hello,

here for MAC version : http://cycling74.com/toolbox/bechamel-tralala/

for Windows : as soon as i have time to understand how Microsoft Visual Studio works ;-)

Anyway if you are interested keep tuned to my toolbox page as i’ll make an update soon …

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:32pm

Hello,

I cleaned my [tralala] ; does it work on your computer ? It is currently just a MAC ONLY prototype ; thanks for volunteers ;-)

Attachments:
  1. Tralala.zip
Aug 1, 2012 at 3:43pm

Works here…(Mac os 10.6.8) Max 6.05… Nice! Is there any documentation for this external? The toolbox page linked in an earlier post is not found.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:25pm

Hello,

No documentation yet, as i just finished the job and i would like to improve the “core” of the external while it is still in my brain ;-)

I deleted my toolbox page as i did so many updates it was not really easy to maintain ; now source code is available on github. I’ll do quick tutorial next weeks ; so if you are interested stay tuned on it. https://github.com/jeanSapristi

To sum up : create a note with cmd-click ; change it with ctrl + arrow keys ; duplicate with alt key … and various stuff but all you need is controls keys and arrow keys.

For example :
- shift + ctrl + up/down key for transpose one octave more / less
- tab key to select the zone
- cmd + shift + A to select all notes plus the zone.
etc.

But for now my priority is reliability ; i implemented my own scheduler/thread to get ms precision ; thanks to focus your attention about that and thanks for report ;-)

And patcher next to show messages avalaible :

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Aug 1, 2012 at 4:28pm

What questions did you have about vs? Not 100% sure I can help, but will try :)

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:33pm

Mainly : do you have lags (on the long-term ; as my external is supposed to compensate every ms lost) ?

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:13pm

Sorry – lags?

If you mean timeslip, the techniques described here http://www.sitepoint.com/examples/timeradjust/examples.html should be applicable across environments

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:14pm

To answer your question specifically, I haven’t done time-critical work on it yet but you can always point the environment to gcc as oppsoed to ms compiler to test the problem.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:11am

Hello,

I do not really understand your suggestion ; if you refer to “gdb” i must say that i do not use it so much and my only debug tool is most of time just to print to consoles.

The point is that i measured time slip (with mach_absolute_time) on my computer ; and it seems my sequencer has a regular timing ; i’m just curious to know if that’s true in all various system/hardware situation. I have been disappointed by looper who stalls during process and that’s why i expect to implement something clock-proof.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:30am

Just curious, why don’t you drive the sequencer with metro?
In my experience it provides ms precision when used for example with [live.step].

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:00am

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:01am

Hello broc,

“… drive the sequencer with metro?”
That is more or less what i did in previous version (using MaxMSP scheduler) but i changed as :

- I get bad surprises with MaxMSP scheduling when i ask many computation in very short time (in the generative part of my [tralala] as all messages can be sent “immediately” between two bars) and since it is closed sources it is sometimes hard to understand what’s happened under the hood (IMHO multithreaded part can be a nightmare). Remarks : [tralala] is not a _step_ sequencer ; just a sequencer (minimum resolution is 8 ms).
- That is a MaxMSP prototype but i want to reuse the “core” later ; in PureData, as a Python Extension, in a custom C++ framework ; i don’t currently know, but i don’t want the main process to be glued to cycling74 API (specially as the SDK is released with no licence at all) ; If a (far) day i implement a custom App ?
- For fun, to learn how to do it and to reinvent the wheel ?

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:08pm

Timing issues can come from either
-max
-your code
-the compiler
-the system

The only thing affected by vs is the compiler. If you want to see if the vs compiler is the problem, all you have to do is configure vs to use the gnu compiler – an involved process, doubtless, but well-documented. Just google.

Generally speaking you are not “required by law” to use VS to develop for M$. Try eclipse/gcc.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:58pm

Hello,

I think we have a little misunderstanding here.

- You are referring to Microsoft Visual Studio that i talked about 10 monthes earlier in this topic, currently it is MAC ONLY and Windows is no more in the scope. I didn’t notice that “vs” was for Visual Studio and “ms” for Microsoft. I should have started a new topic, sorry.

- I have no timing problem at all on my system…

… but i learned that multithreading can be very complex when you try to achieve reliable timing because of numerous synchronization you need to care about. That’s why i asked feedbacks about it (as i do not have farm of computers and hundreds of beta testers to make experiments).

That’s all ;-)

But anyway thanks for reply.

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:19pm

In this case unfortunately only option is to install widoze dualboot on your system :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:52pm

Hello Nicolas,

running your patch for some minutes didn’t produce any messages for deviations > 1 ms, even when opening the ping/pong windows and changing notes on-the-fly with the arrow key.

The test was done on Mac mini 2 Ghz 2CD.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:09pm

Hello broc,

thanks for feedback ; so my habit to plan for the worst was not justified ;-)

Do you have cumulative error ? It should not and stay more or less a multiple of 2000…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Aug 4, 2012 at 4:02pm

Hello,

it seems there is an issue with those version : my habit to plan for the worst was justified, take care ;-)

Anyway as soon as the new one will be OK i’ll push it on github with few patchers. To avoid noisy self-promotion on the forum i’ll no more post announces about that stuff.

https://github.com/jeanSapristi/Vanille

Ciao.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:37am
Oct 15, 2012 at 8:30am

Hey,
this was a nice thing, unfortunately last time i checked (maybe 3 months ?) it was having issues with Max 6. Is this fixed now ?

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:47am

Hi,

I don’t know ; i don’t have any feedback ;-)

I fixed two (major) bugs in [tralala] since the version i posted there two months ago. I will not change this code a lot in the futur (that’s just a prototype), i will just fix bugs to make it 100% stable.

Thanks to send me crash report if you get any problem.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:59pm

Hi,

FYI : i changed the repository : https://github.com/nicolasdanet/Max ;-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.