[ANNOUNCE] Software M185 Step Sequencer
Fueled by the nice response to my software Klee sequencer (built in Max), I’m happy to announce the availability of the software M185 Step Sequencer:
This is a MIDI-enabled recreation of RYK’s hardware M185 step sequencer – developed with the input of the RYK himself! It reproduces almost all of the features of the hardware version, and adds many new ones as well. The hardware M185 was designed to work with Roland’s classic 100M modular analog synth. This software version now opens up the unique capabilities of the sequencer, with its stage-specific gate modes and clock pulse count, to MIDI-enabled hardware and software synths. It is cross-platform, Mac and Windows, and built completely with Max/MSP version 5.1.7.
* Multi-stage step sequencer with stage-selectable gate modes
* Gate modes include Mute, Single, Multi and Hold
* Trill mode available when in Multi mode within a stage
* Polyphonic potential when using long Note Length values
* Each stage can be from 1 to 8 clock pulses in length
* Internal or MIDI clock control
* Built-in clock divide capability
* MIDI output to any hardware or software synth
* VST instrument hosting
* 16 preset slots for instant recall of parameters
* Presets can be saved to and loaded from disk
Check the web site for more info, downloadable demo, videos, etc…
It’s an animal sequencer. I used to drool over that Roland vid thinking I would never have it in my little eurorack and then you come along to save the day :)
Hurray for sequencers :)
You sir, may have just gotten yourself quoted on the M185 web site! (with your permission first of course?) :-)
of course dude – whatever you need :)
Love it! In particular I like the unusual rhythmic patterns you can get depending on what numbers you choose, lots of variety compared to the very duple or "in 4" restrictions that most sequencers gravitate to. But you can still set the overall pattern length as well, to keep things sounding more regular in the larger scheme of things, or to sync with other sequencers.
One question–can you change the MIDI program/instrument? The piano is wearing out on me :)
Looking forward to trying it with some VST instruments too.
Great work and I appreciate the time spent on the documentation, it’s helpful and shows a real professionalism.
Hi Seejay – thanks for the nice words (especially about the docs – I hate doing them, but I do spend a lot of time writing them!).
Re: program changes – no, I did not build that into the app, I assume that people will change programs on the device itself. It’s a good feature request though, I will put it on the list for a future version. When you use a VST though, you will have the ability to choose one of the VST’s programs directly from within the M185.
Just a quick update to announce that version 1.5 is now available!
Here’s what’s new – a lot of remote MIDI control stuff, and bug fixes…
* External MIDI controller support via MIDI CC messages
* Map CC to UI control by MIDI learn functionality or by manual mapping
* MIDI Note control feature for Stages added
* Ability to specify default CC mappings and MIDI controller device
* "." key now toggles between Main and Setup pages
* VSTs no longer duplicated in Output menu after Rescan Plugins or Rebuild Plugin Cache functions selected
* VSTs no longer duplicated in Output menu after viewing About M185 screen
* On Windows, clicking anywhere on app activates the window (not just on the title bar)
* Preferences folder now correctly named "M185 Preferences Folder" instead of "Klee Preferences Folder"
* On startup, each stage set to C4, instead of an ascending scale
* On Macintosh, Max/MSP users will no longer have M185 open inappropriately instead of Max, when double-clicking a Max patcher
I’m quite pleased with how the MIDI learn stuff came out (same approach that I used in my software Klee sequencer). Doing that kind of stuff in Max, and having it feel like other commercial apps, is never easy!! I’m also quite tickled that Daniel Miller (founder of Mute Records) bought my app!