Forums > MaxMSP

any way to use a single backslash in a message?

September 6, 2011 | 2:21 am

simple, but why so hard. i can’t get messages to pass a single escaped backslash:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

September 6, 2011 | 11:49 am

i did a search first.

that post doesn’t answer my question.

please take a look at the patch. is this a bug in this max version, or can nobody get a single backslash to pass from one message to the next?

thanks.

September 6, 2011 | 12:52 pm

This won’t probably help you:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

September 6, 2011 | 1:00 pm

wow, nice. that’s a hack and a half. just what it takes sometimes in these crusty caveman ages…

September 6, 2011 | 1:46 pm

That’s for a forward slash, still don’t work for backslash (key 92)

September 7, 2011 | 2:54 pm

Just to check, you do realise that if you print those messages it is actually working how you would expect. So the issue you’re having is specifically about sending a message to another message object as opposed to a different max object. Can you be more specific about what you are trying to achieve?

September 7, 2011 | 3:03 pm

DiGiTaLFX said:
"Just to check, you do realise that if you print those messages it is actually working how you would expect. So the issue you’re having is specifically about sending a message to another message object as opposed to a different max object."

Yep – I’ve always found this confusing. I’m not totally sure I understand the need for the special max characters – I’m sure they are needed, but I dunno why exactly :-/

September 27, 2011 | 5:17 pm

yeah, it’s only from message to message that doesn’t work like expected. i have a project with a lot of regular expressions and parsing, so those backslashes come into play everywhere. it’s figured out and working, although this message-to-message would have been the easiest way.

September 27, 2011 | 6:31 pm

Although I too often use message objects as some kind of container (for example while tied to a receive object; makes keeping a global value very easy as well as debugging the patch) there are also some disadvantages; besides what you describe here.

When it comes to storage I think messages will do fine, but when you need to manipulate lists or texts on a lower level I try to avoid them, unless being really sure up front that they won’t cause any side effects.

This is one example; another emerges when ""‘s come into play. Those are often used by Max whenever text which contains spaces is sent out, and these behave differently with message objects as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)