Forums > MaxMSP

anyone here know about servos?

September 10, 2013 | 8:54 pm

Hi there,

I want to build a simple 360 degree rotating piece of glass (7" to 9" diameter) that is controllable by voltages via Max. I have found all kinds of servos online, but I’m not sure which would be best for this application. How much torque do I need? How can I tell how fast the servo can rotate between 0 degrees and 360 degrees? Fast would be nice, but precision is also an issue.

Here’s an example of one I found online:

http://www.robotmesh.com/df15rsmg-360-degree-motor-20kg?gclid=CPCxt8e2wrkCFWxyQgod2TEAYg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

September 16, 2013 | 12:43 am

I could be wrong here but my understanding is
No load = how fast it moves as it is with no weight.
Stall torque = how much weight till it will stall.(max weight)

That servo lists this information as below
(not always 100% accurate)

No-load speed:60°/0.16s @7.4v (so 60 degrees turned in .16s @ 7.4 voltage)
Stall torque:19.3kg.cm(7.4v)(i think this is by the square cm so you may have to allow for that also.)

So probly weigh some glass at the size and thickness you want to use
then try calculate whether that will take it.

Plus you could support around the servo depending on what you have planned to take some of the weight and stress off it if possible.

Are you running to an arduino or somehow straight from max?
I did manage to control several servos on an arduino via a midi controller through max but if you get control another way i would be interested having a peak at how.

Hope this helps.

September 16, 2013 | 3:55 am

Thanks for all of that information, Eben89!

We have a basic working setup with an Arduino – so likely very similar to what you did. I’ll share whatever we end up with once it is working.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)