Forums > MaxMSP

Anyone know of a modern lightweight object for displaying text vertically?

April 28, 2014 | 5:44 pm

I’d like to be able to label the columns of a matrixctrl. The objects I found so far are either really old (compressed with ‘sit’) or require jsui or other external support.

I’m wondering if anyone has built the equivalent of the [comment] object that rotates the text 90 degrees so it can be displayed like a book title?

April 28, 2014 | 6:21 pm

I’ve implemented this functionality in a few UI objects I’ve written, been meaning to make a version which is text-only. Watch this space…

April 28, 2014 | 7:05 pm

Watching….

April 29, 2014 | 1:15 am

Comment?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 29, 2014 | 1:53 am

Or getting the same result – the lazy typists way…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 29, 2014 | 4:18 am

I didn’t realize (although I probably should have) that I could insert line terminators between each character. It took me a few moments to figure out CMD-RETURN was the way to do this.

As it happens, the "lazy typists" way suits me better because the actual text to be displayed will depend on what plugin/patch has been loaded in the column.

These will be terrific in the short term, however I really want to have the individual characters rotated by 90 degrees so that the comment can be read like a book title written on the spine.

April 29, 2014 | 4:23 am

Cute use of [thresh], by the way.

April 29, 2014 | 11:37 am

define "light weigth".

if you have jitter, you can use jit.lcd, jit.rota, and jit-pwindow (with onscreen off) to easily display text (read: fonts) in any position and combination you want.

April 29, 2014 | 11:41 am

Light weight —- small object (RAM usage, processing usage). I’ll end up with hundreds of these things and so I’d like them to load really fast and not have "extra" stuff. I don’t know very much about the jitter stuff but it seems to me that loading lots of jit.lcd objects is a much more expensive proposition.

Basically, I just want [comment] with 90 degree text. I’ll build an external myself to do this if I have to, it’s not too hard, just didn’t want to do that if someone had already done it.

April 29, 2014 | 10:52 pm

in the moment lcd or something jitter is created it sucks CPU like stupid, but the displaying of it should not cause more trouble than e.g. displaying an image file.

but i must confess that i probably have a very creative definition of "leightweight" when i suggest you to write a little video app to replace the comment object. :)

otoh, it seems still as easy as writing a custom object in c++.

plus you get more flexibility. using jit.lcd will allow you to use copymodes or blur effect or skip the text a bit so that it is 80° … things like that re two minutes work on the patch layer, but almost impossible using c++.

April 29, 2014 | 11:46 pm

What about using a sideways font?

https://www.google.com/search?q=sideways+font\

• This reply was modified 2 months by  Rick.

April 30, 2014 | 8:39 am

That’s an excellent idea — I got hold of a couple of font manager tools to play with, rotating an existing font by 90 degrees seems to do the trick

Cool

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)