Anyone using a touchscreen laptop (ie. not a tablet) with Max?

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:03pm

Anyone using a touchscreen laptop (ie. not a tablet) with Max?

Hi there,

First time poster, I’ve been using Max for a few years now but have only recently integrated it with my live performance setup, primarily as a MIDI router for my guitar gear (usually an FCB1010 footboard and Sansamp PSA1 through an UA-25 audio interface to a Macbook Air). I’ve been thinking about getting a touchscreen laptop, but am uncertain of the prospects of running the Max runtime in Windows (8?) and using touch for basic interactions and settings adjustments.

I’m aware that Max isn’t multi-touch compatible, I’m not too concerned about that and would just like reliable single touch events. I’m hoping to get the performance benefits of using a standard laptop for audio and MIDI processing in realtime while taking advantage of a touchscreen interface to monitor and tweak my guitar processing setup (primarily through Max). I’m NOT looking for another tablet or dedicated piece of touch hardware. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or advice, thanks!

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:30am

Hi,

I use a Lenovo X220 convertible with Max. I built a VST host with sheet display, backing track, etc. I basically use the touch to move to the next / previous song. Works fine. It sad that the controls do not support multi touch, e.g. it would be nice to scroll through lists (the setlist in my case) using swipe.

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:54pm

Hey Moss,

Thanks for your reply, definitely a good reference laptop. That’s pretty much what I would want to do initially with my setup. Looks like the Lenovo X230t would be a good choice right now, its annoying how few “touch/tablet laptops” can do the 180 degree screen swivel (see the Yoga’s “tent” formation).

Here’s hoping for multitouch gestures in Max sometime in the near future. I’m wondering how difficult it would be to simulate “multitouch”-like events (like registering a ‘swipe’ gesture as some sort of combination of regular mouse click events), I’ll definitely try to exhaust all of the possibilities if I get my hands on a suitable machine!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.