Anyone Want To Earn Extra Cash For Teaching?

May 30, 2008 at 5:23pm

Anyone Want To Earn Extra Cash For Teaching?

Hello Everyone,

This post actually is for experienced Max/MSP Users.

You may have read a few posts from myself a few weeks ago concerning internet workshops.

So anyhow I will get to business…
I live in a Hell Hole called Dubai, which is situated in the UAE.
There is no such thing as workshops for Max/MSP and no-one has any knowledge of even what Max/MSP is, or even Jitter. So this is a huge thorn in my side to learning Max/MSP, and learning it well.
Because I am willing to spend the money to pay for a workshop that happens everywhere else in the World, apart from Dubai.

So anyhow, enough of my bitching.

My main question is this.
Is anyone willing to teach me Max/MSP, much like the workshops that happens around the World.
I am willing to pay money, but as long as the teachings are much like what are taught in the workshops. So an experienced Max/MSP user is a must.
I have run through some of the new tutorials but not all of them, so I should run through them first.

I have a way that this can be done.
It would also be great for people like myself and even for the Cycling ’74 website, who could make an extra buck.

-Video Tutorials-
Workshop style video tutorials, using something like iShowU, or even Snapz Pro, to record the activity.
Also recording the persons voice to guide through the videos.
They could be released on Quicktime format, for people to pay-to-download.
But the Videos should be like the Workshop teachings. It would be great.

Or even use Skype, having a one-on-one conversation and running through Max/MSP. But i would need to get my internet connection running better.

But i think the Videos would be the best.
And i am willing to pay for the teachings and knowledge that someone will give up there time to do.

I hope others think that this was a good idea. And i do hope that something like the Video Tutorials does come up some time. Even to be released on the Cycling 74 website for purchase.

Anyhow, hope to here from anyone…

May 30, 2008 at 11:10pm

> I live in a Hell Hole called Dubai, which is situated in the UAE.

Yeah, but they got like, wicked tall buildings there, right?

bt

On May 30, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Lewis G. Edwards wrote:

>
> Hello Everyone,
>
> This post actually is for experienced Max/MSP Users.
>
> You may have read a few posts from myself a few weeks ago concerning
> internet workshops.
>
> So anyhow I will get to business…
> I live in a Hell Hole called Dubai, which is situated in the UAE.
> There is no such thing as workshops for Max/MSP and no-one has any
> knowledge of even what Max/MSP is, or even Jitter. So this is a huge
> thorn in my side to learning Max/MSP, and learning it well.
> Because I am willing to spend the money to pay for a workshop that
> happens everywhere else in the World, apart from Dubai.
>
> So anyhow, enough of my bitching.
>
> My main question is this.
> Is anyone willing to teach me Max/MSP, much like the workshops that
> happens around the World.
> I am willing to pay money, but as long as the teachings are much
> like what are taught in the workshops. So an experienced Max/MSP
> user is a must.
> I have run through some of the new tutorials but not all of them, so
> I should run through them first.
>
> I have a way that this can be done.
> It would also be great for people like myself and even for the
> Cycling ’74 website, who could make an extra buck.
>
> -Video Tutorials-
> Workshop style video tutorials, using something like iShowU, or even
> Snapz Pro, to record the activity.
> Also recording the persons voice to guide through the videos.
> They could be released on Quicktime format, for people to pay-to-
> download.
> But the Videos should be like the Workshop teachings. It would be
> great.
>
> Or even use Skype, having a one-on-one conversation and running
> through Max/MSP. But i would need to get my internet connection
> running better.
>
> But i think the Videos would be the best.
> And i am willing to pay for the teachings and knowledge that someone
> will give up there time to do.
>
> I hope others think that this was a good idea. And i do hope that
> something like the Video Tutorials does come up some time. Even to
> be released on the Cycling 74 website for purchase.
>
> Anyhow, hope to here from anyone…
> –
> —————————————————-
> LGE

May 30, 2008 at 11:19pm

and man made islands shaped as palm trees.

May 31, 2008 at 1:29am

The Ruby community has a sort of mentor – student program:

http://rubymentor.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

Could be a good model…

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Kyle Kaplan wrote:
>
> and man made islands shaped as palm trees.
> –
> -k.
>

Morgan Sutherland

May 31, 2008 at 1:38pm

They may have tall buildings, and also Palm Tree Islands, but it is all coming down very slowly.
Also there is still minor forms of slavery here, plus all those tall building are cheaply built, everyone is a ticking clock ready to stop.

Seriously, this is a country you visit, not live and work. You only work here if you work in a good job, and your main plan is to rape and pillage the country of all its resources, then you run away, all within a 5 year plan

I have been here for over about 1 year and 5 months. And a few months before that a few years ago.

Honestly it is a HELL HOLE, trust me.
Greenpeace would have a field day, with Dubai. Pollution and Dumping is a big problem here.

Also you can not swear at anyone, otherwise you can end up in jail. Plus one thing, which is even worse, you can not kiss your loved one in Public. I done that, and a local came up to me and said ‘you can do that in Europe, but not here’, i said to him sarcastically ‘Oh yes, THANK YOU for reminding me what i can do back home and not here’.

Either way enough of my bitching at Dubai.

Cheers for the feedback.
I did actually order Todd Winkler’s book ‘Composing Interactive Music: Techniques and Ideas Using Max’
I do know it is quite old, and there is hardly any MSP in it. But any sort of info which I dont have to read on a computer screen is good.

Ruby? I have never heard of it, will give it a check out.

Cheers again

May 31, 2008 at 1:44pm

Forget the book, i just got called by the book store ordering it, that they can not get it now.
This is also another problem that happens here.

May 31, 2008 at 5:04pm

Hi,

As a starting point you might want to check out Peter Elsea’s great tutorials:

ftp://arts.ucsc.edu/pub/ems/maxtutors/

best
b

May 31, 2008 at 7:22pm

I second the peter elsea tutorial suggestions.

Ruby is another programming environment entirely…I think that comment was a tangent, rather than a direction for you!
Part of learning max is knowing what you want to get out of it. Sound? Data control? Video? Escape from Dubai (I think Max 5 includes that as a new feature ;) )? Sketch out a bit of a project in your mind of what you might like to get from it, and THEN look at the tutorials – the relevant parts will pop out at you more, I think. Are you using max5 or 4?
Dubai does sound awful. It seems that most of the talk about that place is that it is a magical occurrence in the desert. I’ve always regarded it with suspicion from my neck of the woods! Since you’ve been there over a year, are you on that 5 year rape/pillage model?

Pboer

May 31, 2008 at 7:35pm

It’s on my list… see my recent post. Please send me additions or
corrections.

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
TIMARA Department
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

On May 31, 2008, at 3:22 PM, pnyboer wrote:

> I second the peter elsea tutorial suggestions.

May 31, 2008 at 8:02pm

“Ruby is another programming environment entirely…I think that
comment was a tangent, rather than a direction for you!”

Not a tangent, a secant. I was suggesting that you/we might be able to
adopt a similar model for this particular situation, or in general. I
don’t think the Max community has enough ‘open source ethic’ to pull
it off though. Nor enough users.

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Gary Lee Nelson
wrote:
> It’s on my list… see my recent post. Please send me additions or
> corrections.
> Cheers
> Gary Lee Nelson
> TIMARA Department
> Oberlin College
> http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
>
>
>
> On May 31, 2008, at 3:22 PM, pnyboer wrote:
>
> I second the peter elsea tutorial suggestions.
>
>
>

Morgan Sutherland

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:20am

Hey guys,

thanks all for your replies.

As for the Peter Elsea Tutorials, i have them, i just have not worked my way through them yet.

Also to add to the shitty-ness
Flickr.com
It is actually banned here. They block sites here as well. there is a picture i put up for you to see for yourself.
They even block important sites, even some of the max/msp patches sites, which is stupid.

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1685&private=0[/img]

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:26am

“*Part of learning max is knowing what you want to get out of it. Sound? Data control? Video? Escape from Dubai (I think Max 5 includes that as a new feature ;) )? Sketch out a bit of a project in your mind of what you might like to get from it, and THEN look at the tutorials – the relevant parts will pop out at you more, I think. Are you using max5 or 4?
Dubai does sound awful. It seems that most of the talk about that place is that it is a magical occurrence in the desert. I’ve always regarded it with suspicion from my neck of the woods! Since you’ve been there over a year, are you on that 5 year rape/pillage model?*”

I am actually wanting to use Max/MSP 5 for making music, any music.
Through my many years of making music, it does not bother me what type of music i make.
I have thought of a few things to build but then sort of hitting a wall a bit.

And my 5 year rape and pillaging is going pretty well in year 2 now.

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:44am

If you find that the things you are trying to build are too ambitious, then start small. some of my first musical patches were simple things like a pentatonic melody generator, or synchronized sample changes/speed variation. go like halfway through the Max tutorials then start working all the way through the MSP tutorials. If an object catches your interest, look into it, wonder to yourself what you can do with it. A personal teacher would of course be nice, but perhaps all you need is a little more motivation. The documentation Cycling 74 provides is really comprehensive, and if you also stay connected to the listserv, and exploring freely distributed patches and how they function, the program is bound to become familiar eventually. Just stick with it and set reasonable expectations.

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:38am

Just go through the help files and learn every object, one by one. Learn 10 a day or so, and try to make a patch that uses the ones you know as you learn them. That worked pretty well for me.

I’ve never understood why being tutored on Max/MSP, or any programming language for that matter, by a human could help anymore than just learning the facts included in the manual or tutorials.

Learning any computer language or computer program is going to be a lot of work, the same way that it takes a lot of work to learn an instrument or learn how to use tools. Practice always makes better.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:48pm

Well there’s the issue of programming style and ‘good practice’. I’ve
learned a lot from other people that I wouldn’t have learned on my
own. And I think some people learn better with external pressure or
guidance.

Really, I’d help you out Lewis if I weren’t new myself. If you can’t
find anybody, take the suggestions above and when you have specific
questions about how you _should_ do things, ask the list (that’s how
most other people learn).

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Eli Stine wrote:
>
> Just go through the help files and learn every object, one by one. Learn 10 a day or so, and try to make a patch that uses the ones you know as you learn them. That worked pretty well for me.
>
> I’ve never understood why being tutored on Max/MSP, or any programming language for that matter, by a human could help anymore than just learning the facts included in the manual or tutorials.
>
> Learning any computer language or computer program is going to be a lot of work, the same way that it takes a lot of work to learn an instrument or learn how to use tools. Practice always makes better.
>

Morgan Sutherland

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:25am

Eli Stine schrieb:
> I’ve never understood why being tutored on Max/MSP, or any
> programming language for that matter, by a human could help anymore
> than just learning the facts included in the manual or tutorials.

Its about finding the doors when you run against a brickwall. If there
is someone to guide you to the doors, its just faster…
But this community does that already to some extent. But the real
problems usually lie beyond the pure technological problems, its more
about how to learn to solve problems in general, and in this case its
about creativity and its direction I guess…

This is hard to achieve over a distance, but it should be possible with
tools like skype etc…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:33pm

Yeah, i’d suggest doing most of the tutorials, then start experimenting and working yourself. Run through a list of objects from time to time as to get familiar with as many objects as possible. You’ll run into problems, but most of the time you can solve them with a little effort or ask a question here, most of the time people are more than willing to help.

The only dangerous thing about this approach is when you’re unable to solve something this way and you’re really stuck. But that doesn’t happen too often, definitely not often enough to hire a tutor. You’d be better off consulting an expert from time to time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.