Arduino USB Interface with Max/MSP

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:14pm

Arduino USB Interface with Max/MSP

Has anyone successfully established USB communication between a Diecilima Arduino and Max/MSP 5.0?

#40186
Oct 6, 2008 at 10:03pm

There is a Max 5 tutorial called serial communications, that explains how to use the serial object to talk to the arduino. Is this different from what you are trying to do?

#141957
Oct 6, 2008 at 11:15pm

Yes, using pduino – http://www.parasitaere-kapazitaeten.net/max_msp/pduino_for_max

Theres Lots of info on the Arduino site in the playground.

#141958
Oct 6, 2008 at 11:15pm

beyond the tutorials, you can also look at the ITP physical computing
pages fro more help. http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Abigail Stiers
wrote:
>
> There is a Max 5 tutorial called serial communications, that explains how to use the serial object to talk to the arduino. Is this different from what you are trying to do?
>

#141959
Oct 7, 2008 at 7:26am

On 6 oct. 08, at 23:14, Mary Simoni wrote:

>
> Has anyone successfully established USB communication between a
> Diecilima Arduino and Max/MSP 5.0?

Note it is not USB per se. It’s rs232 over USB. So you need to install
a driver on your computer to be able to communicate with the arduino:

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

>

_____________________________
Patrick Delges

Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl

http://www.crfmw.be/max

#141960
Oct 7, 2008 at 1:31pm

what? first i’ve heard of this. you certainly don’t need it on os x,
and i’ve yet to see this kind of need at all with xp or vista. it
should just work. one common mistake is that you’re using the debug
panel in the arduino and you’re also trying to see get input into max
at the same time. it’s a serial device, so one host at a time.

On Oct 7, 2008, at 3:26 AM, Patrick Delges wrote:

>
> On 6 oct. 08, at 23:14, Mary Simoni wrote:
>
>>
>> Has anyone successfully established USB communication between a
>> Diecilima Arduino and Max/MSP 5.0?
>
> Note it is not USB per se. It’s rs232 over USB. So you need to
> install a driver on your computer to be able to communicate with the
> arduino:
>
> http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm
>
>>
>
> _____________________________
> Patrick Delges
>
> Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl
> http://www.crfmw.be/max
>

#141961
Oct 7, 2008 at 2:20pm

YOu dont think any drivers with os x and arduino diecimilia. Works
just fine for me. Ive used maxuinos nice patches, there code to upload
to arduino through arduinos own app, then just open the maxuino.help
patch in max and try. works very well.
—–
Tomi
.

joshua goldberg kirjoitti 7.10.2008 kello 16.31:

> what? first i’ve heard of this. you certainly don’t need it on os
> x, and i’ve yet to see this kind of need at all with xp or vista.
> it should just work. one common mistake is that you’re using the
> debug panel in the arduino and you’re also trying to see get input
> into max at the same time. it’s a serial device, so one host at a
> time.
>
> On Oct 7, 2008, at 3:26 AM, Patrick Delges wrote:
>
>>
>> On 6 oct. 08, at 23:14, Mary Simoni wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Has anyone successfully established USB communication between a
>>> Diecilima Arduino and Max/MSP 5.0?
>>
>> Note it is not USB per se. It’s rs232 over USB. So you need to
>> install a driver on your computer to be able to communicate with
>> the arduino:
>>
>> http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm
>>
>>>
>>
>> _____________________________
>> Patrick Delges
>>
>> Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl
>> http://www.crfmw.be/max
>>
>

#141962
Oct 7, 2008 at 2:34pm

On 7 oct. 08, at 15:31, joshua goldberg wrote:

> what? first i’ve heard of this.

I just tried to remove my driver (on OSX), and without it, I can’t
find my arduino (its serial port is missing), even in the Arduino IDE.
Anyway here is what you can read on arduino.cc “getting started” pages
- http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/MacOSX

There are similar pages for Win.

With non USB arduino, of course you won’t need to do this.

3 | Install the USB drivers
If you are using a USB Arduino, you will need to install the drivers
for the FTDI chip on the board. These can be found in thedrivers
directory of the Arduino distribution.

If you have an older Mac like a Powerbook, iBook, G4 or G5, you should
use the the PPC drivers:FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_1_9.dmg. If you have a
newer Mac like an MacBook, MacBook Pro, or Mac Pro, you need the Intel
drivers: FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_9_Intel.dmg. Double-click to mount
the disk image and run the includedFTDIUSBSerialDriver.pkg.

< a picture>

(The latest version of the drivers can be found on the FTDI website.)

>>
>> http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

_____________________________
Patrick Delges

Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl

http://www.crfmw.be/max

#141963
Oct 7, 2008 at 2:56pm

Sorry for doubleposting just fixed some typos….
> I also dont think any drivers are needed with os x and arduino
> diecimilia. Works just fine for me. Ive used maxuinos nice patches,
> theres code to upload to arduino through arduinos own app, then just
> open the maxuino.help patch in max and try. works very well.
> —–
> Tomi
> .
>
> joshua goldberg kirjoitti 7.10.2008 kello 16.31:
>
>> what? first i’ve heard of this. you certainly don’t need it on os
>> x, and i’ve yet to see this kind of need at all with xp or vista.
>> it should just work. one common mistake is that you’re using the
>> debug panel in the arduino and you’re also trying to see get input
>> into max at the same time. it’s a serial device, so one host at a
>> time.
>>
>> On Oct 7, 2008, at 3:26 AM, Patrick Delges wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On 6 oct. 08, at 23:14, Mary Simoni wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Has anyone successfully established USB communication between a
>>>> Diecilima Arduino and Max/MSP 5.0?
>>>
>>> Note it is not USB per se. It’s rs232 over USB. So you need to
>>> install a driver on your computer to be able to communicate with
>>> the arduino:
>>>
>>> http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm
>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _____________________________
>>> Patrick Delges
>>>
>>> Centre de Recherches et de Formation Musicales de Wallonie asbl
>>> http://www.crfmw.be/max
>>>
>>
>

#141964
Oct 7, 2008 at 6:00pm

On Oct 7, 2008, at 6:31 AM, joshua goldberg wrote:

> first i’ve heard of this. you certainly don’t need it on os x

So you don’t have something called “FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext” in /
System/Library/Extensions/ ?

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

#141965
Oct 23, 2008 at 6:55pm

Ive installe the drivers and still can’t get max msp working with my arduino board. Do I need to include some code in my program to allow max to read the board?

#141966

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.