Forums > MaxMSP

Are there any objects for doing what Table does, except with a more ergonomic user interface?

January 26, 2007 | 10:47 pm

Are there any objects for doing what Table does, except with a more ergonomic user interface?

For example, it would be nice to have the functionality of Table, but also allow the user to scroll up and down in the window using the scroll wheel on your mouse (rather than the "hand" tool), and to have a zoom feature that provides finer increments of zooming, rather than Table’s very coarse "zooming by doubles," as well as allowing use of the mouse’s scroll wheel to controll this zooming, rather than having to click on one button to zoom in and another to zoom out.

Even if i can find something with even some of these features, it would be an improvement.

thanks, any help is much appreciated

January 26, 2007 | 10:56 pm

Unfortunately there is no object that comes with Max that
does all those things. Compared to Reaktor, Max’s UI leaves
much to be desired.

Anthony

—– Original Message —–
Date: Friday, January 26, 2007 4:51 pm
Subject: [maxmsp] Are there any objects for doing what Table does,
except with a more ergonomic user interface?

>
> Are there any objects for doing what Table does, except with a
> more ergonomic user interface?
>
> For example, it would be nice to have the functionality of Table,
> but also allow the user to scroll up and down in the window using
> the scroll wheel on your mouse (rather than the "hand" tool), and
> to have a zoom feature that provides finer increments of zooming,
> rather than Table’s very coarse "zooming by doubles," as well as
> allowing use of the mouse’s scroll wheel to controll this zooming,
> rather than having to click on one button to zoom in and another
> to zoom out.
>
> Even if i can find something with even some of these features, it
> would be an improvement.
>
> thanks, any help is much appreciated
>

January 26, 2007 | 10:56 pm

duh, sorry, looks like the mouse wheel does work in table to scroll up and down, so nix that one. Any suggestions about the other features would be appreciated

January 26, 2007 | 11:03 pm

When data is "cut" from a table, is there a way to prevent the data which comes after the data which was "cut" out from shifting left into the space that used to be occupied by the data which was "cut" out?

January 26, 2007 | 11:10 pm

When using the horizontal "zoom" feature, the currently displayed y-axis range changes sometimes. This is pretty bad, because it causes you to get totally lost if you’re navigating through some complicated data set. Is there any way around this?

January 26, 2007 | 11:12 pm

Quote: Anthony Palomba wrote on Fri, 26 January 2007 15:56
—————————————————-
> Unfortunately there is no object that comes with Max that
> does all those things. Compared to Reaktor, Max’s UI leaves
> much to be desired.
>
>
> Anthony
>
>
——————————————————-

Are there any externals or user built patchers that can handle the job?

January 26, 2007 | 11:31 pm

Is there any way to make table display a graph of its data in the patcher window (without the user having to double click on the "table" object)?

January 27, 2007 | 12:08 am

Try using the function object. While it doesn’t do zooming, it’s
floating point, and you could very easily hack together a way of adding
points to it by sending it lists when you want turbo precision. Plus,
it also tells you where you’re dragging. Send a float in the left
inlet, get the interpolated value out the left outlet.

Peter McCulloch

On Jan 26, 2007, at 6:31 PM, Max Planck wrote:

>
> Is there any way to make table display a graph of its data in the
> patcher window (without the user having to double click on the "table"
> object)?
>

jln
January 27, 2007 | 12:13 am

January 27, 2007 | 4:14 am

> Is there any way to make table display a graph of its data in the patcher window (without the user having to double click on the "table" object)?

Yeah. Use a multislider.

January 27, 2007 | 5:57 am

If you’re dying to use table, multislider going into LtoTab (external)
is updatable (and clearly viewable) in real time.

Keith

On 1/26/07, Gregory Taylor wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to make table display a graph of its data in the patcher window (without the user having to double click on the "table" object)?
>
> Yeah. Use a multislider.
> –
> knowledge is not enough/science is not enough/Love is dreaming this equation
>

January 29, 2007 | 1:06 pm

Max Planck wrote:
> Is there any way to make table display a graph of its data in the
> patcher window (without the user having to double click on the
> "table" object)?

As till now nobody mentioned it, I would use a buffer~ in combination
with waveform~. You can create a scrollbar with rslider. Maybe someone
has made a jsui/pictcontrol which looks exactly like a scrollbar? should
be possible…

The advantage of buffer~ is especially with more than 4096 datapoints,
as there is no limit…

The advantage of waveform~ is it has the graphical tools you need, look
at the help file…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

January 29, 2007 | 2:30 pm

Tables do provide some added functionality like the pencil and the line, but I agree that they’re a bit limited. I think the bpfunction might be the ticket for you. You can create your bpfunction and have it generate *hidden* tables of its data—at any resolution you’d like. For example, you might have a typical ADSR envelope in a bpfunction. Clicking a button will send all the points into a hidden table (that could be edited if desired, of course). However, the points could be of arbitrary resolution—so you could ask for 10 X-axis points, or 1000. This way you could have multiple versions of the same data as you need. Of course, the table functions would remain as they are (and yes, some more zoom would be nice). However, you could utilize the resolution of the bpfunction to generate lots of versions of your data to use.

To display table’s values into the main patcher window, yes, I would use multislider. Maximum # of sliders = 4096. If you have more points than that, use zmap to map your points to actual slider values. With some fiddling you can create a zoom feature for a multislider—zl slice twice into another multislider, using a range bar to select the zoom segment. It’s not quite that easy but I’ve gotten it to work. (The problem was getting the data back up into the main multislider from the zoomed one—dealing with the index offset…and that you need to *set* the sliders rather than just send a list – stack overflow if you do).

Finally, look at the eijes objects. He has a great multifunction version of the bpfunction editor that works basically the same as the original, but allows multiple functions at once, and has a really nice zoom feature. Use this in conjunction with the tips above and you should be all set.

-C

January 29, 2007 | 11:40 pm

Quote: seejayjames wrote on Mon, 29 January 2007 07:30
—————————————————-

> look at the eijes objects. He has a great multifunction version of the bpfunction editor that works basically the same as the original, but allows multiple functions at once, and has a really nice zoom feature. Use this in conjunction with the tips above and you should be all set.
>
> -C
>
—————————————————-

Where can i find Peter Eijes’ objects? I looked in the Max Objects Database website, searched this forum, googled, searched my Max directory, and I can’t find them (although I can find other discussions where people speak positively of them…)

January 29, 2007 | 11:45 pm

also…

i didn’t realize it when i originally posted, but i need the values between the data points entered by the user to not be output. since the values between the user entered data points in waveform and table will be output as "0," this won’t cut it.

it looks like the only graphical data editor in Max that does what i need is function’s dump output, or eijes’ object if it behaves similarly… unless there’s some other graphical data editor that will not output any data for points between the user entered points.

January 29, 2007 | 11:55 pm

On Jan 29, 2007, at 3:40 PM, Max Planck wrote:

> Where can i find Peter Eijes’ objects? I looked in the Max Objects
> Database website, searched this forum, googled, searched my Max
> directory, and I can’t find them (although I can find other
> discussions where people speak positively of them…)

Hi Max,

The Ejies are by Emmanuel Jourdan. (I’m sorry to blow your cover,
Emmanuel.) They are listed on Max Objects under "ejies."

You can find them here: http://www.e–j.com/sphpblog/

Vlad

Vlad Spears
Urbi et orbi

http://www.daevlmakr.com

http://www.2secondfuse.com

January 29, 2007 | 11:55 pm

On 30 janv. 07, at 00:40, Max Planck wrote:

> Where can i find Peter Eijes’ objects? I looked in the Max Objects
> Database website, searched this forum, googled, searched my Max
> directory, and I can’t find them (although I can find other
> discussions where people speak positively of them…)

If you stop calling me Peter Ejies I may help ;-) Have a look to:

http://www.e–j.com

Cheers,
ej

jln
January 30, 2007 | 12:05 am

f.e
January 30, 2007 | 8:59 am

Mr Planck,

enough is enough, you have won the prize of the longest and boring
titles in the recent Max list history.

f.e

f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
> >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
> >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|

Max Planck wrote:
> also…
>
> i didn’t realize it when i originally posted, but i need the values between the data points entered by the user to not be output. since the values between the user entered data points in waveform and table will be output as "0," this won’t cut it.
>
> it looks like the only graphical data editor in Max that does what i need is function’s dump output, or eijes’ object if it behaves similarly… unless there’s some other graphical data editor that will not output any data for points between the user entered points.
>
>

January 31, 2007 | 7:20 am

the e-j java function object is a big improvement on the standard Max/MSP function object, thanks a lot!

For anyone interested in checking out an interesting and tricky problem involving the use of functions, please check out my question near the end of the thread here:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=93250&rid=4977&S=45b8c13f6614f1bd9802dd840e618351#msg_93250

Thanks again!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)