argument for a ctlout to specify all devices?

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:32pm

argument for a ctlout to specify all devices?

Hi, I am using two of the exact same midi devices and my computer and max always gets confused. They are on different midi channels, one is on 1 and the other on 2, and I have that specified in my ctlout objects. Is there any argument I can give ctlout so that it will send messages to all midi devices? I figure that it will only send them to the ones on the channel specified by ctlout and that might solve the problem.

Thank you! Nick

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:47pm

Ok, so I guess there is no way to do this? Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Nick

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:18pm

To send midi to all devices you could send it to multiple ctlout’s assigned to different ports, ie. using for each a different index from all ports that are available in the menu.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:33pm

Hi I wanted to give this post a bump. I now have 4 of the exact same midi devices on different midi channels. Is there any way to specify “All devices by channel” with a loadbang or loadmess? Broc, thanks for your reply but I’m hoping there’s a way to do this other that have 4 ctlouts specifying all my devices when I only need one. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

thanks, Nick

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:52pm

There’s nothing wrong with using multiple MIDI objects. See the example on the left. You can send all your data to the same object multiple times with a different channel number each time (see the example on the right), but I can’t think of a real good reason to do that.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Nov 7, 2012 at 5:35am

Christopher,

Thanks for your reply. I guess I could do what you did, make a subpatch with several ctlout objects. But just to me clear, it’s not that they are different channels that’s the issue, that would be great. I want to select “All Devices by Channel” with a loadbang or load message. My problem is that in the ctlout pull down menu of midi devices the items in the list are the same, and I can’t tell which one is on which channel. I have many ctlouts in my patches and I would like to have “All Devices by Channel” selected when I open the patch.

It’s because I made several midi controllers using Arduinos and they all show up as “MIDI/MOCO for LUFA” so it’s really confusing even though they are all on different midi channels.

thanks, Nick

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:28am

if these devices are actually arduinos you could go one level deeper and use serial.
Why use midi anyways? i could imagine that you also loose a lot of resolution(if you have pots, faders etc) when using our good old 7-bit friend..

PS, still an interesting question though in case of regular midi devices

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:34am

In terms of the question about MIDI output objects, you can just use the channel offset in the MIDI Setup… window to assign a different channel offset to each device. That way there’s no need to have any typed-in port argument in the object box.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:42pm

Christopher, thanks for your reply, I’ll try it out and let you all know if that method might work.

Woyteg, In programming my arduinos I’m trying to make it so that they will each have a unique name when plugged into a computer. I’ve thought of it and it’s just a difficult thing as I have to convert the code to .hex. I posted on the arduino forum too and i’m still figuring it out. I thought maybe there was a way in max to subvert this problem.

thanks all. Nick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.