array of questions about of Java

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:04am

array of questions about of Java

Hello to everyone:
I have a series of question that, hopefully, the people of this forum can help me to figure out. I am really interested in porting some processing code into jitter, mainly because I like the way jitter handles real time visuals. Thus, I need to surf inside Java(I am more a C++ guy), but I need to admit I am almost on the blank.
1-How realistic is to think that processing code can be ported?. In the end processing is java, thus, can be ported writing java classes and invoking them inside jitter, right?. Can java classes used in Processing directly used inside jitter?
2-What is the best IDE for Mac?, I tried XCode but I didn’t feel so comfortable when it comes to work with Java(again, It feels more for doing C++ or C). I have listened that eclipse is not that stable in OSX, any opinions?

Thank you very much for your help and time

Emmanuel

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:11am

Processing is mostly Java-ish: the main Processing “sketch” is a rather odd chuck of code which forms the inside of a Java applet, with a library of functions exposed for actual setup and drawing. Processing’s 2D/3D rendering model isn’t supported by Jitter, so you’d need to port the code to do the drawing. Also, Processing uses an iterative clear()/draw() loop whereas Jitter, and many other animation environments, are steady-state.

I’m not a Jitter guru particularly: you should probably ask questions there since what you’ll be dealing with are more likely to be Jitter issues. I’ve not done Jitter directly from Java – I’ve always passed messages from Java out into the Max world first.

Eclipse is fine on OS X. I’ve used it for many years without any obvious problems.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:46pm

Hello Nick!
Thank you for the fast reply. In this moment I was taking a look into NetBeans, which seems to be a friendly environment for doing Java.
Thank you for the answers regards Processing. It is the iterative loop which i find quite nice in processing, particularly for implementing complex algorithms for particle systems and so. So far I have been working with shaders, but i still find easier to program complex behaviors when they are encapsulated(is that the english word?) inside iterations.
I need to admit that I am not very clear if java is the way to go but I will give it a shot.
Thank you again for the answer!
Emmanuel

Jul 5, 2009 at 9:14am

You may wish to consider running Processing and Max communicating via OSC? It really depends on what the application is.
Also, if you’re familiar with C++, openFrameworks is similar to Processing but written in C++. It has one main file testAPP.cpp that you modify and has three routines – setup, update and draw as in Processing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.