AU Host?

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:50pm

AU Host?

Is there a MSP object that functions as an AU (audio Unit) host
similar to the way vst~ works?
I’m enjoying using the “Synful” Orchestra Synth – hosted by Apple’s
AU Lab – but would prefer to incorporate Synful’s outputs into other
MSP processing. (I’m finding the vst version of Synful often crashes
Max.)
Thanks in advance.

P r o f . M a r t i n G o t f r i t
School for the Contemporary Arts
Simon Fraser University Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6
604 291 3363 facsimile 604 291 5907

#29422
Dec 29, 2006 at 6:32pm

as far as i know, unfortunately not.
you would have to go the soundflower (cycling74) or jack osx
(www.jackosx.com)route in order to get that into max.

hans

hans w. koch
im krahnenhof 11
d-50668 koeln
+49-221-554902
http://www.hans-w-koch.net

Am 29.12.2006 um 18:50 schrieb Martin Gotfrit:

> Is there a MSP object that functions as an AU (audio Unit) host
> similar to the way vst~ works?
> I’m enjoying using the “Synful” Orchestra Synth – hosted by Apple’s
> AU Lab – but would prefer to incorporate Synful’s outputs into
> other MSP processing. (I’m finding the vst version of Synful often
> crashes Max.)
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P r o f . M a r t i n G o t f r i t
> School for the Contemporary Arts
> Simon Fraser University Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6
> 604 291 3363 facsimile 604 291 5907
>
>

#91986
Dec 29, 2006 at 7:05pm

> as far as i know, unfortunately not.
> you would have to go the soundflower (cycling74) or jack osx
> (www.jackosx.com)route in order to get that into max.
> hans

I still have the full code of an AU host software.
I think it’s time to build an [AU~] for the Mac version of MaxMSP.
What do you think?
Suggestions?

Cheers,
Philippe

#91987
Dec 29, 2006 at 7:20pm

I for one would be most grateful. soundflower is not always a
solution when one wants to also incorporate live inputs and _not_ use
an external sound interface.

Martin

On 29-Dec-06, at 11:05 AM, Philippe GRUCHET wrote:

>> as far as i know, unfortunately not.
>> you would have to go the soundflower (cycling74) or jack osx
>> (www.jackosx.com)route in order to get that into max.
>> hans
>
> I still have the full code of an AU host software.
> I think it’s time to build an [AU~] for the Mac version of MaxMSP.
> What do you think?
> Suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
> Philippe
>

#91988
Dec 30, 2006 at 9:07am

>> I think it’s time to build an [AU~] for the Mac version of MaxMSP.

I’ve always been amazed that Max/MSP /doesn’t/ support Audio Units! Yes,
please.

JS

#91989
May 22, 2007 at 2:55am

Quote: Martin Gotfrit wrote on Fri, 29 December 2006 18:50
—————————————————-
> Is there a MSP object that functions as an AU (audio Unit) host
> similar to the way vst~ works?
—————————————————-

[au~]
< http://www.michaelnorris.info/soundmagicspectral/au.html>

Cheers,
PG

#91990
May 22, 2007 at 12:21pm
#91991
May 23, 2007 at 12:16am
#91992
May 23, 2007 at 12:42am

Quote: Philippe Gruchet wrote on Wed, 23 May 2007 01:16
—————————————————-
> However, all the tests done here revealed very low latencies and CPU loads, making MaxMSP (one of) the fastest AudioUnit host software.

Thank you! This can be really useful.

Best regards,

Rui

#91993
May 23, 2007 at 12:20pm

[au~] is lower on CPU than logic pro because it does not
open up silly cocoa view windows, thats the whole trick. :)

#91994
May 23, 2007 at 6:58pm

Quote: Roman Thilenius wrote on Wed, 23 May 2007 14:20
—————————————————-
> [au~] is lower on CPU than logic pro because it does not
> open up silly cocoa view windows, thats the whole trick. :)
—————————————————-

Once setup, close the window :-)

[au~] displays the custom views of Carbon AU.
Like any other Carbon host, [au~] only displays the generic Carbon view (white background) of Cocoa AU plug-ins.

All the tests I did with AU effects have been done ‘AU Lab versus MaxMSP’, AU Lab being a Cocoa host. My main concern was about the latencies.

PG

#91995
May 24, 2007 at 1:02am

i would be suprised if latency is something which depends
on the host but i am always willing to learn.

;)

#91996

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.