Forums > MaxMSP

AU plugin to control Midi device

October 31, 2006 | 10:25 am

Hi there,
This is my first post.

I currently use Logic Pro 7.1 together with a digital mixer that can be controlled via Sysex.
My question is:
1. is it possible to create a AU plugin to control a midi device via sysex.
What I’d like to do is be able to load a plugin that gives me graphical controls over the mixer so that I can recall scenes, change fader positions, maybe EQ etc…
(I know I can do some of it using Logic environment but I think a proper plugin with a GUI would be more elegant)

2. How difficult would that be?
Knowing that i have never used MAX. (I have done some Logic environments in the past)

Thanks

October 31, 2006 | 2:13 pm

October 31, 2006 | 3:21 pm

indded – this is very easy normaly, but currently not
possible witzh pluggo (and even as AU only with lots of
effort put into custom code)

i am using midi control stuff in pluggo a lot – in
nuendo and cubase on Mac OS 9.

what about you make a little standalone and run it
alongside logic?

October 31, 2006 | 3:57 pm

There is a possibility to use pluggo AU effects to send sysex to a midi output, but only if you are willing to do some work in the logic environment.

Whenever a plugin parameter is changed, the audio object in Logic outputs a Fader command. You could transform these fader commands to sysex in the environment. We use this technique to get information about the bypassed state of effects from logic into max.

I seriously dislike working in logic’s enviroment (it’s so clumsy), so if there is any other way to do it I’d do it that way.

Running a standalone program besides logic would be a good idea. To send information from a pluggo directly to max could be done with a network protocol.

But, btw, I think it shouldn’t be very hard to record a sysex dump of your mixing desks state into a region in logic and have it put that out again. No pluggo’s involved there.

Cheers,
Mattijs

jbm
October 31, 2006 | 4:30 pm

I just did something like this using the mxj net classes to send data from my plugin to a standalone app, then back into Logc over a midi port created by the standalone. It’s a workaround, for sure, but it’s a workaround that works!

The standalone is running as a daemon, in that it’s completely hidden offscreen and has no UI elements at all. Not a bad solution, for now!

J.

October 31, 2006 | 10:30 pm

Quote: Mattijs wrote on Wed, 01 November 2006 04:57
—————————————————-
> Whenever a plugin parameter is changed, the audio object in
> Logic outputs a Fader command. You could transform these fader
> commands to sysex in the environment. We use this technique to
> get information about the bypassed state of effects from logic
> into max.

Related:

A couple of years back I hacked together a little AU plugin that loads up to 128 parameter names, value ranges, value names (sine, square, saw etc) and default (reset) values from a user-edited text file.

This means Logic shows the correct names etc in the plugin, in Logic’s track automation, on a Logic/Mackie Control LCD, etc. The plugin has no custom GUI, it just uses the default plugin GUI in Logic.

The fader messages can then be transformed to appropriate sysex in the Logic environment (sysex mapper transformers or fader objects). I used this with Yamaha TX81Z and Roland MKS-50 environments.

If anyone wants this (unsupported hack) plugin, contact me privately.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)